Water tank condensation: how to minimise it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plastic water tank in the loft has a "padded" sleeve, plus a plastic top which I made myself.
On some mornings, there is still a lot of condensation at the bottom of the tank, where it sits on the plywood platform. As far as i can see, the condensation has not run down the tank to the bottom.

I was thinking of wrapping some sort of foam insulation around the bottom inch of the tank. Maybe I can knock something up by splitting some pipe insulation tubes down the middle.

Anyone else got ideas on reducing condensation. The loft is well ventilated. The wind whistles through it! Still I can get a lot of condensation around the base of the tank.

Sponsored Links
If you insulated the base it will freeze in winter. That's why it's left clear.

If you insulated the base it will freeze in winter. That's why it's left clear.

I meant the bottom inch on the sides of the tank, where most of the condensation collects.

Why do you get condensation at all? Are there any holes in the ceiling near the tank?

Sponsored Links
Why do you get condensation at all? The loft should be well ventilated and cold at this time of year.

I'm not sure. Maybe because I had a burst pipe. I removed some loft insulation, so maybe the loft is warmer than it should be?

If you had a water leak in the loft, it needs to dry out. I'd have thought that removing wet insulation is a good start; a bit of extra heat will help it dry out. Any remaining dampness should easily dry out in the summer. In the meantime, dampness could be the cause of condensation on the cold tank.

BTW there seem to be new by-laws designed to keep insects and larger animals out of new cold tanks (close-fitting covers and screens in overflows). I think this is to keep the water drinkable.

Water vapour is lighter than air, so it will rise from the house into the loft, especially if (1) there is a lot of it or (2) the celing has holes in it.

First two and most important questions:

(1) Is anyone in the habit of draping wet washing about the house or on radiators? Or having baths and showers without running an extractor fan during and after?

(2) does you ceiling have holes in it, e.g. around pipes; an ill-fitting loft hatch, or downlighters?

More on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160032

Lofts should also be ventilated. Newer houses will have vents in the soffits. Older ones may not since lofts used to be nice and warm :) Re-tiling will now come with some vents tiles, but an older house that hasn't been re-tiled may not have enough ventilation. Make sure your loft insulation is not blocking any vents that you do have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back