Water tank container not filling up, no bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water tank is not filling up and therefore no hot water which means no bath. This is only upstairs but in kitchen downstairs is fine.

Attached are pictures of the tank. It's old building, pressure is long w anyway. There is shower with a pump installed to increase the pressure. We can have only one or two baths a day these days and there are 5 of us.

To be honest this had been a constant issue for us in last 6 months. The ability of the tank to replenish is very poor.

Anyone has any ideas and can offer advice is much appreciated,

Thanks.

Regards
Sal.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Check that the jet in the ballvalve isn't clogged up
Sorry where is the jet in the ballvalve.
Problem is that water tank container is in very tight space as you can see from the picture. Will I have to take the container out first, install a new ball valve and then put back in place.

Sponsored Links
Will I have to take the container out first, install a new ball valve and then put back in place.
Not sure that's a good idea

Sorry where is the jet in the ballvalve.
The ballvalve is the brass fitting connected to the orange float in your 2nd picture

If space/access is tight then (as HERTS suggested) replace the complete unit
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-float-valve-part-2/27627#_=p
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wc-float-ball-4/76297
http://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-prestex-tap-connector-washers-5-pack/1109j

There is some water and one Person should be allright to have bath but water does not get replinished. Also in the shower to get hot water we have to open the sink tap for a while (after we turn pump on) turn to cold side first, then hot side. When we turn to hot side on sink takes minutes before we turn shower on to have a bath. Only if hot water is flowing in sink that we know that we can turn hot water shower on to have a bath.

So point is even when there is water in tank it takes a effort to have bath, it's not like we enter shower after turning the pump on and turn shower tap to hot side and enjoy bath.

Couple of questions

1) To have a bath, you have to put the hot tap on in the basin??
2) You put the shower on to have a bath??

First things first, don't use the shower to have a bath, it will take for ever ;)

You need a professional in I think so first understand your system and then fix it as you have a couple of issues that need sorted. The cold water cistern needs investigated to find out if the ball valve is the issue or the cold mains feed to the cistern is where the issue lies. Then the pump and it's supply needs looked at as that white plastic supply pipe looks a bit dodgy and the pump may need a bit or work.

There is some water and one Person should be allright to have bath but water does not get replinished. Also in the shower to get hot water we have to open the sink tap for a while (after we turn pump on) turn to cold side first, then hot side. When we turn to hot side on sink takes minutes before we turn shower on to have a bath. Only if hot water is flowing in sink that we know that we can turn hot water shower on to have a bath.

So point is even when there is water in tank it takes a effort to have bath, it's not like we enter shower after turning the pump on and turn shower tap to hot side and enjoy bath.

Don't over analyze this with what works and what marginally works. That tank needs to be full of water. It replenishes itself automatically via the valve operated by the orange float. Get that resolved and everything else should be fine.

1/ yes
2/ I have a shower system not a bath. Once hot water is flowing in sink I know hot water will flow from shower (not sure how long will it last though)

Another thing I will say is that few days back there was problem is the block people having water issue so water contractors came in and dug an pavement in order to restore water, that's now being fixed I believe and they have covered everything now and left. But my problem with hot water upstairs was before that anyway.

Couple of questions

1) To have a bath, you have to put the hot tap on in the basin??
2) You put the shower on to have a bath??

First things first, don't use the shower to have a bath, it will take for ever ;)

You need a professional in I think so first understand your system and then fix it as you have a couple of issues that need sorted. The cold water cistern needs investigated to find out if the ball valve is the issue or the cold mains feed to the cistern is where the issue lies. Then the pump and it's supply needs looked at as that white plastic supply pipe looks a bit dodgy and the pump may need a bit or work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back