Water tank leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't this just what you want to hear. 'There's water dripping from the top of the airing cupboard'. Fortunately the leak was easy to spot. It's from the big plastic water tank, where a pipe enters near the bottom:

TankLeak1a.jpg

I've put a bucket under the leak and the rate is one drop every four of five seconds. Here is a closer picture of the leak. The water is either coming out from under the whitish stuff that seals the pipe, or it's emerging from a tiny crack in the plastic tank itself:

TankLeak2.JPG

Can this be at least temporarily repaired by simple means? I have Plumbers Mait in the garage but I've never used it on plastic.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely, and any attempt may make it worse if it's a split in the tank.
Depending on just how 'temporary' a repair you want, have you considered sticking a piece of plastic to the tank, to marshall the drips away to a bucket. Empty the bucket once or twice a day until the tank can be replaced.

If it's just the fitting leaking, then drain the tank and reseal the fitting, perhaps using an external leak sealer (suitable for potable water, NOT silicone)

Calculus, good evening.

Looks a lot like an insurance claim, the heading for the claim will be an "escape of water from a fixed domestic installation"

Depending on your Insurance policy Excess ? which can be quite high [£ 500.00] only long term RELIABLE fix is a replacement, we are about to hit cold weather and the tank may simply fracture big style

Ken

Thanks both, looks like this is best left to a plumber...that's if I can get hold of one. I already have a bucket collecting the drips. The bucket collects about two inches depth in 24 hours so manageable as long as it gets no worse...which might be another reason not to attempt a repair :D . Not an insurance job at the moment as I have not suffered any loss as far as I know. My wife says the top of the airing cupboard was definitely dry two weeks ago so this leak is quite recent; I would expect the wood etc to dry out without further problems.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, looks like this is best left to a plumber

I'd recommend not delaying too long - there looks to be a clear split in the tank and if that fails then not only do you get a tankful of water through your ceiling but the mains supply will continue to run until it's cut off. If that happens you will definitely have an insurance claim on your hands!

Is that a crack in the tank -just below the line of water -it could be a scratch on the surface though.

Edit -post crossed with notsonewboy......

Not an insurance job at the moment as I have not suffered any loss as far as I know

I would definitely not agree, in that you were astute enough to spot the [shall I call it] embryonic leak.

Your Insurer should be only too glad to jump in now rather than NotSoNewboy here if the tank blows it will take out a small part of the upper floor and a large area of the ground floor, but if the tank blows and you are not in the property the mains water could be running for some time?

Ken.

You would be wise to isolate the supply to that tank. And drain it by opening your taps. If what appears in your pic to be a crack is just that ,you could be in for a lot of grief. Call in a plumber as a matter of urgency.

Did you know that a JG speedfit 22 tank connector goes in a 37mm hole. So maybe that connector would fit in a hole big enough to remove the offending split ? Yes it's one I have done because I couldn't be arsed to take the whole lot out and replace like for like - saved a few ££ too. That stuff smeared round the fitting could be Boss Blue - not good for plastic AFAIK oil based . Notice how the connector with the plastic washer is still fine.

Get that replaced soon as mate.
And when done make sure outlet pipes are properly supported and nothing is shoved into the loft against them :)

The plumber is in the loft as I type, installing a new tank, so this should have a happy ending. I suffered an anxious few days waiting for him as the drip rate was slowly increasing. So thanks again to all posters who advised me to get the professionals in asap. I've highlighted Dilalio's comment because I suspect this has much to do with the cause of my woes. Here is how the pipes run through to the airing cupboard:

Tankleak4.JPG

You have to step over those pipes when you go into the loft, and it's very difficult not to touch the horizontal and vertical parts. I am going to have to find some way to protect them. By the way, the plumber is putting in a straight sided tank as he couldn't get a round one, but he thinks the curved surface of the round one probably contributed to it splitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back