Water tank overflow into soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water tank in roof, but no escape for mains in if the ballcock fails. Simplest thing for me would be a device that would take the potential overflow from the tank and overflow it into the soil stack - obviously it would need to prevent smells coming back.

I can't imagine something hasn't been produced (like a waste trap) that would allow this - anyone used this sort of thin, or able to tell me the name of this type of device or a link (if indeed it exists).

Sponsored Links
No overflow? :eek:
Can you take a pipe out through the soffit / facia somewhere?
Keep the outlet just lower than the ball valve inlet.
John :)

I can't imagine something hasn't been produced (like a waste trap) that would allow this - anyone used this sort of thin, or able to tell me the name of this type of device or a link (if indeed it exists).

Hepvo tundish kit
You'd need to fit a tundish aswell so it can be seen that your cistern is overflowing.

HEPVO

Sponsored Links
Doesn't comply with the water regs though which requires the discharge from a warning pipe to be visible.

I thought that you can see the water in a tundish?

http://www.advancedwater.co.uk/images/unvented-guide/figure12.jpg[/QUOTE]

Not when it's in the loft.

Andy

So the water regulations say that you can fit a tunish in a kitchen but not a loft because you have to use a loft ladder to see it. A link would be useful, as I thought the precise purpose of a tundish was to meet the water regulations in that you can see the water is overflowing, regard less of its location in a house.

.. and what about when the water tank is in a cupboard - can you fit a tundish there?

The water regulation 16 (4) States that

Every storage cistern shall be fitted with

(a) An overflow pipe, with a suitable means of of warning of an impending overflow, which excludes insects:

The guidance the goes on to state that small cisterns of up to 1000l capacity must be fitted with a warning pipe and no other overflow pipe.

The pipe needs to be fitted in such a way that the overflow is visible otherwise it will not act as a warning.

It's possible that you are thinking of the discharge pipe from an unvented hot water cylinder which comes under G3 of the building regs.

The water regulation 16 (4) States that

Every storage cistern shall be fitted with

(a) An overflow pipe, with a suitable means of of warning of an impending overflow, which excludes insects:

The guidance the goes on to state that small cisterns of up to 1000l capacity must be fitted with a warning pipe and no other overflow pipe.

The pipe needs to be fitted in such a way that the overflow is visible otherwise it will not act as a warning.

It's possible that you are thinking of the discharge pipe from an unvented hot water cylinder which comes under G3 of the building regs.

1. OK - are you saying it's the insect thing that's a problem?

2. It appears from the regs that if you fit an audio alarm, it obviates the need for a warning pipe (and therefore by implication the regulation that any warning pipe must exclude insects). So fitting a tundish with an high level audio indicator would be OK wouldn't it?

A warning pipe is to not only alert you to the fact that you float valve is letting but to take some of the water away from the cwsc and you need to take it out to where you can see it a rundown into the soil pipe will not stop smells so do it properly so you don't get into trouble cos there's always some bright spark gonna drop you in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back