Water Tank Removal From Loft!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Can anyone please give me some advice. I want to replace my old water tank in loft (metal) with a plastic one. I have a couple of questions.

1.What is the average cost of replacement from the metal one to a plastic one?

2.Do I leave the tank in the loft or is there a way of removing the tank completely from the loft?

Sponsored Links
I want to replace my old water tank in loft (metal) with a plastic one.
Why?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...ZOCFGA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=water+tank
plus isolator valve on feed if not installed plus 22mm gate valve on outlet plus pipe - also to adjust height of expansion pipe as required
2.Do I leave the tank in the loft or is there a way of removing the tank completely from the loft?

What do you mean?
Removing the metal tank - up to you
Moving the coldwater tank elsewhere completely? Depends

this is a diy forum,not able to give prices here but diy is worth doing if you have the tools.
no tools leave it to the experts as buying tools for a one off job is not cost effective.
to remove the old steel tank and dispose of will probaly cost more than the original job.
so get a plumber to plumb in new water tank and set aside old steel tank.
when you have time cut up old tank with jig saw with fine metal cutting blade (no sparks) into smaller sections to lower via rope from loft.
you will need plenty of blades and ear protectors,very important.
no jig saw,leave it up there.

Hi all, Can anyone please give me some advice. I want to replace my old water tank in loft (metal) with a plastic one. I have a couple of questions.

the cost for this is around £600 leaving the old tank there will save you money but you can cut these in half to remove them [/code]

Sponsored Links
Why do you want a new cistern?

If you do replace it and leave the old one in place then do drain it down first, it will only cause you problems later on if it starts to leak. Been to a few jobs were the ceiling is wet and you go into the loft and it is because the lazy plumber hasnt drained down the old tank.

Why do you want a new cistern?

If you do replace it and leave the old one in place then do drain it down first, it will only cause you problems later on if it starts to leak. Been to a few jobs were the ceiling is wet and you go into the loft and it is because the lazy plumber hasnt drained down the old tank.
Had steel one for some thirty odd years so just updating.Many thanks John506 all help is very much appreciated

the cost for this is around £600 leaving the old tank there will save you money but you can cut these in half to remove them [/code]
Many thanks seancannon all help is very much appreciated. Paul.

this is a diy forum,not able to give prices here but diy is worth doing if you have the tools.
no tools leave it to the experts as buying tools for a one off job is not cost effective.
to remove the old steel tank and dispose of will probaly cost more than the original job.
so get a plumber to plumb in new water tank and set aside old steel tank.
when you have time cut up old tank with jig saw with fine metal cutting blade (no sparks) into smaller sections to lower via rope from loft.
you will need plenty of blades and ear protectors,very important.
no jig saw,leave it up there.
Many thanks powermaxer
all help is very much appreciated. Paul.

I want to replace my old water tank in loft (metal) with a plastic one.
Why?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...ZOCFGA?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=water+tank
plus isolator valve on feed if not installed plus 22mm gate valve on outlet plus pipe - also to adjust height of expansion pipe as required
Many thanks swidders all help is very much appreciated Paul.

What do you mean?
Removing the metal tank - up to you
Moving the coldwater tank elsewhere completely? Depends

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back