Replace Cold Water Storage Tank in Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,
Just after some advice please?
Cold water tank in loft has started to leak, it is a metal tank, the old galvanised metal type..
It only seems to provide water to the hot water cylinder.
I feel quite capable of replacing the tank myself.
The tank of course has the 15mm cold feed, the overflow and what looks like a 28mm cold feed out to the hot water cylinder.
I don't paticulary wish to solder in the loft for obvious reasons, so was contemplating push fit connectors ? Or compression?
What would be the preferred method?
I value your comments.
Thank you as always.

Sponsored Links
1. Make sure new tank will fit through loft opening.
2. Galvanised tank may not be on suitable base to support plastic tank. May need new base.
3. If you don't wish to solder (which would be my first choice), I'd suggest Tectite or Cuprofit copper push fit. I wouldn't use plastic for fear of rodents / vermin.
4. Unless you are very lucky, old tank won't come out through loft opening without cutting in half.

plastic for fear of rodents
Do mice or rats really inhabit lofts and chomp on plastic pipes?...Never seen one,,or droppings,,and why do they chomp plastic pipes and not timber,,,or all the other crap in lofts..i think the fear is just that,,,,fear of something that v v rarely happens..

Sponsored Links
Do mice or rats really inhabit lofts and chomp on plastic pipes?

As my neighbours and friends have discovered over the years the answers are both YES ( don't mention squirrels )

There is a theory that mice dying from dehydration due to poisoning can sense there is water in the pipes and that motivates them to attack the pipe to get at the water,

To avoid soldering in the loft you could cut and assemble ( unsoldered ) the majority of the pipe work in the loft and then take it elsewhere to solder together. Then there are fewer compression joints in the loft

Last edited:
Do mice or rats really inhabit lofts and chomp on plastic pipes?...Never seen one,,or droppings,,and why do they chomp plastic pipes and not timber,,,or all the other crap in lofts..i think the fear is just that,,,,fear of something that v v rarely happens..
we have a scheme here were you get a lot of calls for squirells biting into the electrics in the loft and getting fried, there is a static residential home park near me and common for mice and rats to get under the caravans and nibble through the plastic pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back