Water temp on a compact 100p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone tell me if it is possible to reduce the central heating water temp on a glowworm compact 100 p boiler. At the moment my rads are just to hot.

Sponsored Links
It is, but only by modifying the boiler internally by adding a variable resistor in parallel with the temperature sensor.

But that is not supported by the manufacturer!

The boiler was made as a simple design to give a flow temperature of 80°C and relies on the room stat to turn it off when its reached set temperature.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi
having the exact same problem, did you find out if it was P1 or P2 to adjust?

I dont think thats correct advice!

I think the two pots control the maximum CH power and the maximum HW power.

Thats not the same as controling the maximum temperature!

I am saying this from memory without looking at the manual so I might be wrong.

Tony

Hi
Yes the two potentiometers available without removing the control board cover are for the burner pressure. The adjusting tool has two ends the other end adjusts the potentiometers 'under the cover'.

Guess I can mark their current positions up and make adjustments to see.

Thanks for the reply

I am sorry that you dont want to take my advice!

Firstly they will NOT achieve what you seek!

Secondly as you have no understanding of boiler operation or any means to measure the burner pressure its illegal!

Tony

I know that I can acheive the desired affect because this is simply a replacement board. At instalation the adjustments were made to the original board by the engineer, I just wanted a heads up on which one of two to adjust.

I was aware of the affect of the other potentiometers on the pressure and have no need to adjust these.
Thanks

I know that I can acheive the desired affect because this is simply a replacement board.
Thanks

The burner pressure controls the POWER input to the boiler!

You want to control the rad temperature!

You can set a power to give a particular temperature but as the weather changes the heat output required will change.

I do agree that you will be able to improve the situation somewhat but it will not be controling the flow temperature because the designers chose not to make it user adjustable.

As a starting point set the flame height to about a quarter of the maximum.

Tony

Hi thanks for the advice, If you turn potentiometer P2 clockwise (approx 30 degrees) this adjusts the central heating temperature down to a sensible level. (Note this IS the temperature setting and not the power output which has its own adjustment) As owners will know it is preset at 80 degrees with the safety cut off at about 83. Every week or so you find you have to relight the pilot. At 80 degrees the radiators are imho unsuitable for families with toddlers.

Lucky for us the original installer (retired) knew how to adjust the temperature but not the guy who fitted the replacement board. Happily adjusted now.

I hope that you are right!

My advice is usually given without consulting any manuals as I just do not have time on forums (except for paid clients).

All I can say is that virtually all other boilers only have an adjustment of the burner pressure which equates to the power input. Of course burner pressure will also alter the radiator temperature!

Tony

He is right. There is a temperature adjustment, but it is not in any manual and not indicated anywhere. Its a trade secret tony ;)

I will have to check that the next time I am unfortunate enough to go to one of those.

Either they are quite reliable or not many fitted as I only see one or two each year.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back