Water Trap Alternative

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a Shower Tray, this shower tray came with a 90mm Shallow Trap. All was well until it came to testing it and I found I had a flood within minutes. My drop is 1:40 and the sink nearby drains perfectly so I guessed it was the trap itself. I removed the internal section to the trap so it was just a drain and it took the water away with ease.

Is there a way I can fit some inline device further down the waste pipe so that I do not have to use the internal trap in the shower waste?

Sponsored Links
Is your trap assembled properly? There was a lengthy thread here recently where it turned out that the core of the shower trap had been put in upside down. Make sure the 'O' ring that seals the core is at the top.

Yes, worth checking, also, how powerful is the shower?? These top access traps used with a small shower tray waste hole don't ever let a lot of water through, this is why more and more manufacturers are making the holes a lot bigger, for bigger wastes.

Sponsored Links
Is there a way I can fit some inline device further down the waste pipe so that I do not have to use the internal trap in the shower waste?
Yes.. a Hep V O waste valve and a straight adapter on 1 end :idea: Linear, and possibly better than a running trap

I agree, provided you can get access to the HepV0 when it fails.

Also, if you can, try to get the trap as close as you can to the shower waste, the further away, the more chance of smells.

Yes, an accessible HepVo trap. Fit a 90 degree spigot on the shower tray. Then little chance of a blockage at the shower tray end.

I have seen HepVo traps fitted in downstairs utility room serving the basin, bath and shower tray above. All accessible and no ripping out the bathroom if a trap blocks.

Do they fail :confused:

So far the feedback is that they are very reliable. I have used them a bit, tending to use one on a basin when it connects to the same pipe as the shower. They get you out of a mess easily. I don't do drains much, that is for plumbers. They are well made and are waterless traps. The HepVo traps is also an air admittance valve, which makes water running smoother and faster, hence why I put one on a basin.

Well it sounds like the HepVO is the way to go, thanks for everbody's advice on this. I am looking to purchase one soon, however where abouts do I fit it.

I have access to the shower trap underneath and could fit it there before it runs into the main 40mm run. After this run, a basin also connects into the 40mm. Is it best to fit the valve further down past the two connections? At present the shower gurgles when I run the basin even though the basin has an anti-siphon bottle trap on it.

Do you have access in the rooms below? They are best fitted vertically./ I would fit one on the basin. They are air admittance valves as well. This will alleviate flow problems. It allows air into the pipe to prevent gurgling.

See this recent post:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192618

What you have in this situation is Bad plumbing, re arrange the pipes so that the basin waste enters nearer to the stack or fit a new independent Basin waste directly into the stack.

I'm not a huge fan of these HepVo Wastes fitted anywhere near a shower, they don't cope well with hair, fit one but access is vital with these

No it is fitted on the ground floor, from what I have read, I would need a 90 degree elbow to attach directly to the shower waste. Only the shower gurgles, I guess this wont happen when it is dry. There is no gurgling from the basin so I guess also, that the anti-siphon bottle trap is working.

I suppose I could also modify my shower waste to remove the divider in the middle to get rid of even more water. In reply to an earlier question, I did fit my internal u-bend correctly, it only went in one way.

I'm quite satisfied on what I need to do now, thanks once again for everybody's help.

See this recent post:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192618

What you have in this situation is Bad plumbing, re arrange the pipes so that the basin waste enters nearer to the stack or fit a new independent Basin waste directly into the stack.

I'm not a huge fan of these HepVo Wastes fitted anywhere near a shower, they don't cope well with hair, fit one but access is vital with these

Hepworth state that they can save time and piping by having a HepVo trap on the basin. Then have the basin teed into the shower waste.

I was talking to one plumber who saw a shower and basin with just spigots and no traps. There was one accessible 40mm HepVo trap on the vertical run in the room below. The two shared the one HepVo trap. He said it worked well, no gurgling and fast running wastes. I assume having one trap for two appliances is wrong - but it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back