Water Trap Alternative

See this recent post:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192618

What you have in this situation is Bad plumbing, re arrange the pipes so that the basin waste enters nearer to the stack or fit a new independent Basin waste directly into the stack.

I'm not a huge fan of these HepVo Wastes fitted anywhere near a shower, they don't cope well with hair, fit one but access is vital with these

Hepworth state that they can save time and piping by having a HepVo trap on the basin. Then have the basin teed into the shower waste.

Understood.

I just feel that we are sidestepping the original problem here, which is that the shower tray floods when in use. Isn't this what the OP has said?? please report back Mr Bally 74.

If this is the case then this is down to the Shower waste not being a fast flow type.

Sponsored Links
See this recent post:-

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192618

What you have in this situation is Bad plumbing, re arrange the pipes so that the basin waste enters nearer to the stack or fit a new independent Basin waste directly into the stack.

I'm not a huge fan of these HepVo Wastes fitted anywhere near a shower, they don't cope well with hair, fit one but access is vital with these

Hepworth state that they can save time and piping by having a HepVo trap on the basin. Then have the basin teed into the shower waste.

I was talking to one plumber who saw a shower and basin with just spigots and no traps. There was one accessible 40mm HepVo trap on the vertical run in the room below. The two shared the one HepVo trap. He said it worked well, no gurgling and fast running wastes. I assume having one trap for two appliances is wrong - but it worked.

I imagine that it did work in the fact that it stopped the gases entering the room, I just wouldn't be happy with long runs of pipes open in a bathroom, I imagine it would eventually smell.

If this is the case then this is down to the Shower waste not being a fast flow type.

It may be a combination of both.

A HepVo on the basin will allow air inside the pipe to give a greater flow.

In this case where the basin is teed into the shower pipe a HepVo on the basin invariably solves it.

Best way is to buy a fast flow trap and see. I would fit both, then you know it is solved.

I agree, whatever happens, I feel we have given the OP several worthwhile solutions

Sponsored Links
I agree, whatever happens, I feel we have given the OP several worthwhile solutions

Yep. The basin teed into the shower pipe required a HepVo. and I would attack that first.

Yes I agree, fit the HepV0 to the Basin first, right after the fast flow waste has been fitted. :LOL: ;) ;)

I'm interested to hear from the OP on the volume of water coming out of the shower, I have fitted power showers with a plain old McAlpine top access trap in the past and not had problems.

Yep. The basin teed into the shower pipe required a HepVo. and I would attack that first.

Yes I agree, fit the HepV0 to the Basin first, right after the fast flow waste has been fitted. :LOL: ;) ;)

I'm interested to hear from the OP on the volume of water coming out of the shower, I have fitted power showers with a plain old McAlpine top access trap in the past and not had problems.

I would be interesting to know if the HepVO trap solved it. One thing is certain, the basin pipe is teed into the shower pipe, so a HepVo as a matter of course.

A plumber would do both as he would not wants a come back. A DIYer can do the HepVo first and observe. If still problems then the fast flow traps. That is the way to approach it.

That link says:

Current building regulations state the minimum depth seal for traps should not be less than 38mm. However, 19mm water seal traps have been manufactured to meet the demand for replacement traps where the original shallow seal traps were installed prior to the current regulations. It is not uncommon in older properties for the waste from baths or showers to have shallow seal traps and discharge into an open hopper head. New 19mm water seal traps are often used when replacing the sanitaryware in these properties. This practice does not comply with current building regulations and they could be rejected if the installation comes under the scrutiny of the local authority building control officer

If discharging into a hopper you don't need a trap. Or do you?

I would be interesting to know if the HepVO trap solved it. One thing is certain, the basin pipe is teed into the shower pipe, so a HepVo as a matter of course.

A plumber would do both as he would not wants a come back. A DIYer can do the HepVo first and observe. If still problems then the fast flow traps. That is the way to approach it.

I have analised your posts and my Spidey sense tell me that you believe he should fit the HepVo first :LOL:

To me it is simple, the water flows perfectly away with the shower trap insert removed, therefore it needs a new trap.

Fit the HepVo, but make sure it is done two weeks and one day afterwards :LOL: :LOL:

Am I winding you up yet ;) :LOL:

I have analised your posts and my Spidey sense tell me that you believe he should fit the HepVo first :LOL:

To me it is simple, the water flows perfectly away with the shower trap insert removed, therefore it needs a new trap.

Fit the HepVo, but make sure it is done two weeks and one day afterwards :LOL: :LOL:

Am I winding you up yet ;) :LOL:

First and foremost the basin needs a HepVo!!! That must be done first. Then see if the shower trap is needed. It is very simple and logical.

George, George, George, take yourself over to the liquor cabinet, get yourself a nice stiff drink of whiskey, pop yourself on the sofa, press play on the stereo and let the soft Jazz fill the room......exhale......ahhhhhh.....and just reeeelax and when your mind is clear of any thoughts.............

.............then you can fit your HepvO :LOL:

Yes the actual problem is that the shower floods. The shower is on the ground floor and I have a 40KW combi supplying hot water so I guess you can say there is a large volume of water.

I don't think the problem lies with the basin waste because when I remove the internal u-bend on the shower waste, it flows away with ease.

The gurgling should stop when there is no water and the HepVO would also work like an AAV for the waste from the basin. Would i be correct that the anti-siphon basin waste also allows air to enter?

Hairs are a concern, I guess I will just have to clean the valve out when someone complains of a smell. for this reason I am thinking of having the adapter that is a straight compression fit, rather than having to screw off the waste each time.

I suppose I could purchase another waste but if it didn't work then I would be wasting my money, i think the HepVO will do the job.

Provided the pipe run from the shower to the soil stack has a decent slope (not uphill ;) ) and doesn't have too many changes of direction, I feel that you are treating the fault with your waste in totally the wrong way, a fast flow trap is the answer, trust me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back