Water under block & beam - new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are in the middle of a new build and are facing a problem with water under the block and beam. We get water in there (more when it rains, less when not - it seems to slow down to a near stop after a few days). Soil is London clay, void is mostly below ground level (varies across the building).

The site itself sits low relative to the surrounding land (think of a 10 degree triangular cone with building in middle). We have some concrete and paving planned to be installed around about 2/3 of the perimeter with aqua channel/aco drains, but I don't think that'll take care of it fully.

Is there any sensible way to test/see where the water is coming in from? The only idea I could think of was to maybe lift some of the blocks in the block/beam and dig a small hole between the foundations. We can then see if that fills up first when it rains after pumping it all out?

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have dug deep holes in clay and suddenly come across water flow. Sort of like a little pipe (fissure?) in the clay that drips water at a high rate, cupful in 5 minutes. So leave it flowing overnight and you start to get flooding. A temporary cure is to hammer in a suitable wedge, literally turning of the water.
In your case best thing to do is to dig a groove around your construction and the water drain to a lower point. The other cure would be to tank the building.
Frank

Thanks mate - I was thinking along the lines of a land drain, but even this solution with the geotextile fabric & gravel looks like it would have a limited life. Any ideas how long I should expect it to last assuming access points for pressure washing/rodding? Did think about tanking, but not a realistic option for us I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
The idea of a suspended floor is that there can be water below it and it not be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back