water will not get to upstairs via a pump ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I fitted a new immersion boiler(old one leaked), thats ok, the hot water supply was fed about half way down the old immersion and the new one didnt have a hole half way so i got a 'salamander S type top entry flange'.

It goes through a powered pump, then a 'check valve' then to the upstairs, you pull a string pull when you turn on a hot tap upstairs to activate the pump and water normally comes out, it worked once now i get the pump coming on ok but no water,

HELP please.

Sponsored Links
Yes, i put the check valve with the arrow facing away from the pump(towards the upstairs)
Not sure how air can get into pump as it does pump, i thught it would clear air it's self ?

Have you taken the pump off the side connection of the Salamanda?

Where is the pump - perhaps it needs priming.

Have you got full bore isolating valves on the pump inlets?

This appears to be a bodge job; are the taps above the cold water cistern?, if so a negative head pump should have been used.

Sponsored Links
I took the pump side off the top of the salamander, counld that be it ? The water taps are nearly on level peggings with the water tank. I only went to change the immersion, doing a good deed for mother-in-law !

Forgot to say, i'm not sure what the full bore isolating valves are, poss there are none. not sure how to prime the pump ?

I have now changed the salamander to the side of the salamander and the rest of the hot outlet is on the top that goes to the downstars bath, kitchen and hand basin. it worked last night, took a while for the water to pump upstairs, i guess air lock, but then it seemed ok, i will test again tonight to see if the water takes ages to get back upstairs.
there used to be a Y strainer before the check valve, i did not refit this as i thought they only utilised it as a reducer ?

Gasguru said:
This appears to be a bodge job; are the taps above the cold water cistern?, if so a negative head pump should have been used.
I don't know why you think it's a bodge - negative head pumps merely force a flow of water to activate the flow switch, and there's nothing wrong with operating a positive head pump using a pull cord switch.

any ideas how to fix it ? It was ok last night when i eventually got the water through, this morning no water upstairs again ?

1. How high is the pump relative to the top of the cylinder?

2. How long have you had the new pump, and how much time has it spent with an air lock?

3. Did you install it in exact accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (leaving aside the mistake with the flange connection)?

Hi, The pump is about 100mm above the top of cylinder. It was already there when she purchased the house, so no instructions. it was working ok before i changed the cylinder.

andy007007 said:
Hi, The pump is about 100mm above the top of cylinder.
That's not a good thing.

It was already there when she purchased the house, so no instructions.
Have a look at this document then.

Also, this one.

it was working ok before i changed the cylinder.
I'm gonna have to repeat the two questions you've neglected to answer:

2. How long have you had the new pump, and how much time has it spent with an air lock?

3. Did you install it in exact accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (leaving aside the mistake with the flange connection)?

I'm not even sure its had an airlock, it seems to pump upstairs eventually, its almost as if the water is running back down pipes when its not used for a while, i have fitted a brand new check valve in case the old one was leaking back.

Hi, I did not fit it, it came with the house.

andy007007 said:
it worked once now i get the pump coming on ok but no water...
Softus said:
...how much time has it spent with an air lock?
andy007007 said:
I'm not even sure its had an airlock
In that case, why do you think that the pump was running and yet water was not coming out?

Softus said:
2. How long have you had the new pump..
andy007007 said:
it came with the house.
In that case, how long have you had the house?

Softus said:
Did you install it in exact accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (leaving aside the mistake with the flange connection)?
andy007007 said:
I did not fit it
In that case, please check that it was installed in exact accordance with the pump manufacturer's instructions. If it wasn't, then change things until it has.

In that case, why do you think that the pump was running and yet water was not coming out?

I could hear it running ok downstairs, but no water was coming out, i pulled the string pull to activate the pump for quite a while, you used to be able to turn on tap, pull the cord for a short time then release the cord and as long as the tap is on the pump stays on.
I left it for about tem mins pulled the pull cord for a good 5 mins and water came out. it just seems to be after you leave it for a few hours it seems to get air or run back, I'm not sure ?

Only had the house for about 8 months. no manufacturers instructions were left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back