Watering down paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all

This may sound like a really stupid question, so I apologies in advance.

I have relined with 1400 lining paper. I am going to give base coat with Dulux Matt white paint.

There is all talk on the board about watering down the paint. Can someone please tell me how I do this and to what ratio?

Thanks in advance

George

Sponsored Links
Id says 15% if its trade matt as opposed to the retail stuff.

I have just bought some bog standard Dulux white paint for the base coat, I think I havea 10litre tin.

So eefectively get one litre of water and mix it in???

Sponsored Links
Yes. It will make it a lot easier to roller on, but do it quickly as there's a chance the moisture in the paint will reconstitute the paste.

Thanks Joe

Once base coat is on, I am going to get dulux trade top coat.

Will I have to water that down or will it go straight on?

It will go straight on but you can thin it a little if you like. Make sure you use a short haired roller with a roller pole.

just thought I'd add....
I would avoid thinning the top coat but if you need to cut it in, around the ceiling say, then you should separate a mug-full into a paint kettle or any container really and add about a tablespoon of water and mix well (not with the brush!!) just to "loosen" the paint then when you cut in it will flow easily and give you a nice straight smooth line. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back