Cracks along joins of painted lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently lined the HSL with 1400 grade lining paper and then painted over it with Dulux Trade Matt emulsion. After the first coat some seems were still slightly visible so filled with Red Devil OneTime and rubbed down slightly, and went over the filled areas with a rad roller. I've then painted the walls again with another 2 coats. The issue I now have is that there are fine hairline cracks appearing in some of the seems (filled ones and not filled!).

I'm guessing that each subsequent coat of paint has caused the edges to lift ever-so slightly resulting in the cracks appearing as the paint has dried. Indeed, the seems where I've used the filling feel slightly raised and are more noticeable.

I ensured the paper was butted up neatly with no gaps and pasted well (or not maybe?).

Is there anyway this can be rectified/saved?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, I've had this problem recently with Johnstone's lining paper and with 1700 grade Mav paper!!! What you need to do is go down every joint with oil undercoat or BIN zinsser (pain in the back side I know) if you fill it still does it. I use Dulux 1400grade fantastic and you don't get those problems . Hope it helps mate.

Crafty

The problem that you have encountered here is often three fold, either the lining paper did not recieve enough paste or it was not supple enough to hang, or the substrate beneath is rejecting it's prescence. If as you say the seams were correctly butted together then the application of a filler would have only enhanced your problem. Would it be at all possible for you to post a couple of pics.

Dec

Cheshire - yes, i used Dulux 1400 grade paper. I'm presuming that the oil undercoat/BIN has more 'stretch' to it and/or creates an impermiable layer of some kind?

Dec - I soaked the paper for about 7-10 minutes before hanging so can only presume it's down to one (or both) of the other reasons you mention. I will try and get some pictures posted on here tonight.

Thanks both of you for your replies.

Sponsored Links
It's caused by shrinkage from the water in the paint reactivating the paste. Oil undercoat will stop the water reaching the paste and hence sort the issue.

Joe - That makes sense. I'll give your and Cheshire's u/c suggestion a go.

My only question now is can I just paint over the cracks with the oil-based u/c or would I need to prep the areas first e.g. rub down a little to try and level out the slight raising that's occured, or try and get some border glue into the cracks first to get the edges stuck down properly again - not sure how possible that will be though!

I did notice that flat areas were created after giving the filled seems a gentle rub-down which still seem to show through even after going over them with a rad roller. Can I use a coarser piled roller over these (and the rest of the wall of course) to add a bit more texture? I understand I'll have to go over the undercoated areas with emulsion anyway.

Thanks again.

Crafty, I've never had this problem with Dulux its normally fantastic.
What I do is roll the joints with a mini roller with OB undercoat no prep what's so ever! If you need fast drying go with one of the zinsser products.

Crafty, sorry that's not what I had in mind that you wre dealing with, scrap my previous advise!
1) Is it slightly over lapd in that area?
2) is it stuck? Give it a tap with your finger.
3) Is there alot of joints like that? Ive got a feeling your going have to get a blade to get under to stick back!
4) Is it just me because seems to have texture on the lineing, may just be the pic.

Cheshire
I have tins of both Zinsser Bullseye Odourless (oil-based, and not 123!) Primer Sealer and BIN. I'm not fussed about the drying time too much so are these just as good as regular OB u/c, or is the OB u/c the better option here?
Thanks again.

Crafty

Are you saying that this is lining paper painted with a matt emulsion.

Dec

Cheshire,
1) No, it's not overlapping.
2) It does feel like it's come away slightly from the at some of these points so probably needs sticking back down.
3)Not too many fortunately, just a few the longest no more than a foot or so.
4) Yes, a bit of texture from the roller - was hoping it would help cover some of the more obvious seems.

Blade and glue option it is then?

As i think has been mentioned you have to prime lining paper before filling.

A few months ago i lined behind a radiator and forgot to turn it off, came in the next morning and it shrank back big time. I primed it with acryllic eggshell, then filled rubbed down and primed the filler with a mini roller. There is a reason for priming lining with eggshell but can't remember what it is, may be a permeability thing.
Looked fine and you wouldn't know it was filled.

I reckon its cracking because the seems are flexing very slightly under pressure from the roller, could also be several of the other reasons suggested but thats where my money is. TBH i dont think your going to solve this now that you've already filled it, if i was you i'd strip it off and use a non woven paper because they dont shrink or stretch which will make it easier for you.

Dunno if you've got a really good camera that well zoomed in but a lining paper finish shouldn't look like that (pic 1)! (havn't looked at the others)

Those little cracks can be a real pain to rectify , gently trying to lift the joints and get some emulsion under them as an adhesive, sometimes this works! but can make them swell even more and cause overlap in some cases.
If you can lift the joint get some paint under squeeze the excess out by running a scraper along the joint before it has a chance to swell.
I tend to leave a gap when lining and fill them after coating the walls with emulsion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZHOiAldOag
This vid deals with filling the joints after applying the first coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back