Waterproof en-suite before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I want to know if I need to waterproof the Sts professional tile backer board im going to use
to put in the shower walls of my en-suite before tiling and if so what to use please
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a shower over a bath or a cubicle? How powerful is the shower? How large are the tiles? The more powerful the shower, and the more grout lines you have, the greater the amount of moisture that will transfer behind the tiles.

If you want to be absolutely sure of no moisture ingress to the structure of the house, you will need to tank the cubicle area. I believe tanking is now mandatory under British Standards. Mapei and BAL are good brands to use.

In situations where the shower is over a bath and isn't particularly powerful, I have successfully tiled direct onto the cement boards in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back