Waterproof my shower tiled wall.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a small shower room on top floor of old 4 storey house, vital that there are no leaks through tiling! Need to make the tiled wall behind the shower absolutely waterproof with minimum thickness, limited space (in existing wardrobe)What's the best way to do this for a reasonable price? (I'm having a deep shower tray, not a wet room)

Sponsored Links
Tanking is your best option; what sort of wall is it, plasterboard or block/brick with plaster finish?

it's very old plaster. Yes tanking's ok but what's the best stuff to use, under the tiles so they stick to it and not too expensive?

If your plaster is very old, is it fit to apply tiles too, will it carry them, or would it be an option to replaster the wall.

Sponsored Links
You say it’s very old plaster, it must be sound, not crumbly or powdery & it shouldn’t sound hallow when you tap it; if it fails either of the above, you can’t tile over it & it’ll have to come off.

There are membrane mat tanking systems available but a liquid membrane is probably the easiest solution for you; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/wp1-coating Dunlop also does a similar kit & are effectively the same company.

I don’t know what you would consider expensive or inexpensive but what I can advise is that you tend to only get what you pay for with this type of product, using cheap &/or unsuitable products usually results in poor quality & early failure & that works out about as expensive as you can get. I would advise you use only quality trade adhesive & grout, the cheap “DIY shed” stuff is generally rubbish apart from Mapei which is now being sold by one chain. Before you start, read the Tiling Forum sticky & some of the archive posts to avoid you making any costly mistakes.

Those thin plastic tile-lookalike sheets from B&Q sound like the way to go here. About £35 per sheet (you'll need at least 2) and a few tubes of no-nails.

Agreed. But given where it's going, and the speed and ease of it...

Only hard bit now will be the plumbing and possibly wiring ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back