waterproof plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just learned some knowledge about preparing the wall for tiling bathroom from this forum. now my plan is:

for the shower/bath area, use plasterboard; for other walls in bathroom, use bonding plaster, then tank the wall.

Toppstiles staff just told me that they have waterproof plasterboard available. I am not sure if this "waterproof" is reliable or not compare to my original plan (normal plasterboard, then tank).

any comments or suggestions? thanks.

Sponsored Links
well, actually at the beginning I am goint to choose aquapanal as well. but from the posts in this forum I learned that it is only "water-resistant" NOT "water-proof".

thanks for the above link anyway. :)

well, actually at the beginning I am goint to choose aquapanal as well. but from the posts in this forum I learned that it is only "water-resistant" NOT "water-proof".

thanks for the above link anyway. :)

Ignore what they say in a forum - take notice of what the manufacturer is saying - they are the ones that are giving it a 10 year guarantee. They are the ones that test it extensively before it even gets to market, and bear in mind that the product has sold in massive amounts over the past 20 years and I'm sure that if it didn't work someone would have noticed. There's a lot of silly stuff posted by amateurs in any Internet forum.

Sponsored Links
As Gcol says Aquapanel is NOT a waterproof board, it is water resistant.

Basically it will not stop the passage of water but unlike plasterboard if it gets wet it will not deteriorate. Just pour some water on it and watch it soak in and if you carry on it will come out the other side!!

Since Knauf changed their specs and said that AP had to be skimmed with tile adhesive before tanking I have reverted to using plasterboard and BAL tanking products. Applied correctly this will give a surface that is a total barrier to any water that may find its way through poor grout or any movement that may occur between differend substrates ie stud walls/solid walls.

JAson

Also just using bonding for the dry areas is not a good idea, give it a coat of finish as well.

JAson

As Gcol says Aquapanel is NOT a waterproof board, it is water resistant.

Basically it will not stop the passage of water but unlike plasterboard if it gets wet it will not deteriorate. Just pour some water on it and watch it soak in and if you carry on it will come out the other side!!

Since Knauf changed their specs and said that AP had to be skimmed with tile adhesive before tanking I have reverted to using plasterboard and BAL tanking products. Applied correctly this will give a surface that is a total barrier to any water that may find its way through poor grout or any movement that may occur between differend substrates ie stud walls/solid walls.

JAson

So Knauf are wrong (multinational company with 18,000 employees and a whole technical department) and jason is right.

Give us a break mate - the stuff has been successfully used for decades. They've sold thousands of tons of the stuff worldwide and you expect us to believe it doesn't work? For heaven's sake get a grip!

Knauf might be a multi-national company,but have you tried their plasters? I have,once.In 2003,our local Builder Centre went from British Gypsum (B/G) plaster, to Knauf.Local plasterers in the area were given a bag of each of their range.I was given a bag of Knauf one-coat,a bag of their Bonding and a bag of their finish to try out.I was asked later to give my opinion of the stuff.My reply to them was, "If I could come here and get all the Knauf plaster that I would ever need,free of charge,then I would sooner go somewhere else to get British Gypsum and pay for it".To me and the other local tradesmen,Knauf plaster was just like chalk, it was a soft plaster It never sold here.You can't beat B/G in my opinion.It's the Plasterers Plaster and the range is wide, I've used it for years and I'll not change. The Builder Centre went back to B/G and the locals came back.Some might swear by Knauf plaster,but not me.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back