Waterproof Wallboards in a Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used waterproof wallboards in a shower cubicle as an alternative to tiling?

There is a brand on the market called Mermaid which is 9mm ply covered with a plastic coating (in various designs).

Apparently, you 'simply' slot the boards together, fix and seal. No need for messy / time-consuming tiling, grouting etc. Hmmm....not so sure.

Like most really good things, are they too good to be true? Are there any drawbacks, like durability, leaks, etc.?

Sponsored Links
gyeulet said:
Like most really good things, are they too good to be true? Are there any drawbacks, like durability, leaks, etc.?
No drawbacks at all, you will not be dissapointed!

Also have a read here

masona said:
gyeulet said:
No drawbacks at all, you will not be dissapointed!

Also have a read here

Thanks very much.

Had a read of the other post too - so the major thing to watch out for is that you do a decent job on the sealing? As with any shower I guess....

Also, how frequently should you re-seal showers/trays?

Sponsored Links
gyeulet said:
Also, how frequently should you re-seal showers/trays?
I've done mine about 5 years ago and the shower is on 4 time a day! There was nothing wrong with the sealants, I only re-seal it because of black moulds and that's because I didn't bother wiping it dry after shower!

Even tiles would have to have sealant on the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back