Waterproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of putting a shower cubicle in, one wall is plasterboard on studwork, Ive been assured as long as it's tiled correctly there will be no problem but all the adhesives and grouts even for swimming pools do not say they are waterproof, am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Your right, normal grout isn't waterproof.

Cement backer boards are normal used, if these get wet, they don't fall apart like plasterboard would and allow the tiles to go loose.

xr4x4 is right, but if you have already fitted the plasterboard you can leave it alone and tank the surface before you tile. Search for a tanking kit

Sponsored Links
thats the stuff. mapie, bal and palace all do a kit like that - 40-50 quid

Thanks for your assistance, I now have another question :confused:

I have a spread coming tomorrow, shall I get him to plaster the plaster boards, in the shower area I'm tiling to the ceiling, the rest of the bathroom which is being skimmed will be tiled to about 5ft or so and painted up to the ceiling, I thought maybe the tanking kit would work better on the finish plaster as opposed to the bare boards, also the other side of the shower cubicle is the loo, once again only half tiled, to skim or not to skim and if not do the boards need to be treated with a PVA solution?

no, dont skim. the tanking will be better onto primed board. You'll get a primer in the kit.

DONT ever use pva :)

no, dont skim. the tanking will be better onto primed board. You'll get a primer in the kit.

DONT ever use pva :)

I've actually started tiling the bathroom now, I did get one experienced tiler in and gave me a quote of £900 then dropped to £800, mates rates, he said to simply give the plasterboard a few coats of pva, hence I've decided to tile it myself.

I got the Bal shower kit, I was wondering if I should put some of the fibre tape from the wall onto the shower base before I tile or use silicon between base and tiles or grout?

base joints just silicone all other joints taped then tanked we use BAL or mapei kit

are you using Bal WP1 mate, if so it is old but really good gear to use, use tape on all joints,corners etc, Just use a good silicone to seal between shower tray and tiled wall.
If you want to make sure your grout is totally waterproof use an epoxy grout.

are you using Bal WP1 mate, if so it is old but really good gear to use, use tape on all joints,corners etc, Just use a good silicone to seal between shower tray and tiled wall.

Yes, Bal WP1 shower kit cost about £60 at Tile Flair, now I gotta wait 24hrs before i can tile. So back to painting a bedroom ceiling.

Yes, Bal WP1 shower kit cost about £60 at Tile Flair, now I gotta wait 24hrs before i can tile. So back to painting a bedroom ceiling.

that's doing it to manufacturers recommendations mate, trowel on the WP1, leave about 3 hours then start tiling, get the wife to paint the ceiling lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back