watertight concrete mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my kitchen wall is a retaining wall above which there is a small concreted yard. At the moment the yard slopes toward the kitchen, I need to resurface it so that it sheds away from the wall. Will a "normal" mix of 1:2:4 do, or should i be looking at a stonger mix eg. 1:1.5:2.5 to get more watertightness?

Sponsored Links
Typically you would need to increase the fines (the sand) with a slight increase in cement to allow for this, possibly include an additive, vibrate it to get the air pockets out and then give it a nice trowelling to seal the surface.

There is a bit more to a real water tight mix design, you need more a fines, a lower water content so a plasticiser, this will help with compaction and close the pores.
Are you sure you wont get hydrostatic pressure on your wall?

Sponsored Links
As your kitchen wall is your retaining wall, this could get water pushing it's way through regardless of what you do with your yard.

As your kitchen wall is your retaining wall, this could get water pushing it's way through regardless of what you do with your yard.

yes , there's not a lot i can do about that . But at the moment the yard drains toward the wall where there is a drain right next to the wall which is basically not working, so water seeps through the wall. As a first step I want to block off this drain and send the water elsewhere, away from the wall

I'm not a builder, but since it's just a yard, could you lay a subbase if required, apply sand and then a dpm sloping towards a drain and lapped up the wall a bit? Then the concrete on top to whatever specification you like and it won't matter if it gets saturated.

But at the moment the yard drains toward the wall where there is a drain right next to the wall which is basically not working, so water seeps through the wall. As a first step I want to block off this drain and send the water elsewhere, away from the wall

You have a faulty drain?

Dig it up and mend it.

You have a faulty drain?

Dig it up and mend it.

that is one option, but i would prefer it if water sheds away from the wall all together, so that it the drain can't go wrong again in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back