Watts Industries Receiver to HIVE for underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2484A5D7-D007-4693-B93A-1AA63926DFDE.jpeg
B09A670C-292B-4DB5-A048-BE9390857AB4.jpeg
I’d be really grateful for some help. Have just moved into a property with no handover received. Have discovered we have underfloor heating in the kitchen. Found the wireless receiver unit hidden under a shelf in the utility but no thermostat control. We have installed HIVE for our central heating. Would it be possible to buy another HIVE receiver and thermostat and use that for the underfloor heating? How would I wire it if so (picture attached)

I know it’s probably very simple but I’m new to the DIY game!

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
is it electric or water underfloor heating ? if you dont have a thermostat is the heating working ?

It’s water underfloor. In the eaves there are 3 actuators - CH, HW and underfloor. Heating is controlled through hive thermostat in the hallway. Underfloor heating (I’m guessing) was running off a different thermostat originally as the heating was controlled by Drayton

you could wire it as it is into a single channel hive receiver where the wire in C goes into Com and the wire in 1 goes into NO L&N are obvious, but cant be sure it will work, looks like someone has been messing around with the wiring

Sponsored Links
Thank you ianmcd. That’s what I thought. Interesting you mention the wiring, our electrician who did a safety check found 36 faults - all from the previous owner who had a go himself! (Or a very incompetent electrician!!).

I’ll give it a go.

If you could post a pic of the other end of those cables, it will be a wiring centre , probably next to the zone valves

The actuators on under floor heating do look very like thermostatic radiator valves, I have never removed one to look at it, but it seems likely a Hive TRV would fit, but as to how well it would work is another question.

If you could post a pic of the other end of those cables, it will be a wiring centre , probably next to the zone valves

This was a picture before the electrician sorted the rats nest of wires out. You can see a cable marked UF programmer and one stating UF pump valve. He’s boxed it all in as it wasn’t safe with our two little ones.

I’ve ordered the hive receiver and will give that a go.

A9B68EDD-77FA-41FE-8286-7F1B24D7724A.jpeg

what a mess give it a go as is and see what happens , if it doesnt work I have a good idea what they have done

904850A3-9076-4769-A9FC-2A9ED0FA4A68.jpeg
So installing hive (after they sent the wrong one) worked in that I get hot water delivered to the downstairs.

my next issue is that floor doesn’t get hot. Hot water is reaching the pump (pictured) but not going further. The pump is emitting a low hum (placing a magnet on it shows it is spinning slowly).

We think the blending valve has packed up or seized so that is being replaced. However, I can’t get my head around the wiring. The pump is attached to a 3 pin plug (with the socket being outside the cupboard, a grey 2.5mm electrical cable that causes a non contact voltmeter to go off but nothing on a multimeter and a bunch of wires with no connections at one end. I would have thought the pump would be set up to operate only when the underfloor heating was on. Also is the wiring entering the grey box some kind of feedback loop to the boiler?

I have no clue what the previous owner has done and absolutely no way of finding out. Any clues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back