Way to go with fireplace (with pics)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ripped out the hideous 70s brick work around our fireplace at the weekend to reveal this eyesore.

We live in a house in Cornwall that has 2ft thick granite walls so what are the chances of me finding a stone lintel above this fireplace if I keep chipping away at the render?

Failing that I want to re-cover the majority of it with an oak surround and some slate but lots of gaps to fill and layers to level. Just above the firehood is a thin metal bar that doesn't look to be offering much in the way of support if that's its intention and above that are what look like a run of half bricks with the broken edges facing towards the room. The sides have been backfilled with any old crap and I have different surface levels to consider. Any opinions on how to progress with this?

fireplace1.jpg

fireplace2.jpg

fireplace3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Firebrick/fireback sized openings are not a great span so the masonry is practically self supporting. Hence only the need for a metal bar as support until the mortar has set.

A typical fire place is constructed as a 'builders opening'. This would be a much larger opening than that which would accommodate a regular firebrick/back with a lintel at say 3-4 foot up from the hearth and the width being almost as wide as the breast less say 14" each side as support masonry.

This builders opening can then be utilised for most types of fire surround and insert. They are generally infilled to a low standard as none will be seen.

I am not familiar at all with stone constructed homes so a can't say whether yours is 'typical'. The only thing you can do is remove any plaster or render and have a look.

As for finishing the wall, just ensure that you complete any rough structural work to the opening so that when you sand/cement render the wall it leaves you with a flat surface upon which to fix any decorative marble or slate and the fire surround.

Keep chipping the plaster away, you might find an Inglenook with an oak beam.

Well!

Someone back in the 60/70's has already done a job on the fireplace and you are not going to find a golden nugget of a stone lintel.

The steel section that you mention provides support to the brickwork above and should be left alone.

What has happened is someone has taken out the old fireplace and replaced it with the one that confronts you now! Best bet would be to demolish the hood and the supporting fire back and start again and either build your own fireplace or buy an off the shelf fireplace to fit the hole in the wall that you are left with and make good any area's of wall that are left exposed.

Regards

Sponsored Links
I think I'm going to do some hacking tomorrow and see what's further up. It's got to be rendered anyway and I might regret not having a look if I don't do it now.

The house appears to have had a fair bit of work done in the 70s and it's infuriating that they've ripped out nearly everything that made these houses what they were. I'm clinging on to the fact that the walls are thick granite all round and that to take out an original lintel to replace it with some half bricks and a metal strut would have been far too much effort for them and that there's something still there behind the render.

Will report back if I find anything.

Okay chipped away a small section to see what's going on back there. Render's quite thick so going to take some time shifting if I carry on. More pics taken to show progress so far.

Looks like there's a course of brick above the half bricks then about a 1 1/4" fill and then the granite starts. Took out some pieces of the fill (see last pic) and you can see into the back of the existing fireplace. The bottom edge of the granite is rough though so how likely is it that it's the lintel? Should I keep going?

000_3340.jpg

000_3342.jpg

000_3343.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back