Waygo Connectors in the Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Can I use Waygo connectors to connect some lighting cable 1.5m2 together in the ceiling. Do I need the waygos in a junction box as they wont be accesible or is there a better solution?

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
Wagos must be in a Wago box not left loose in the ceiling. An alternative would be a MF junction box. 1.5mm2 is not lighting cable, it is oversized. Use 1.0mm2 cable.

"Wago connectors" (and similar connectors from other brands) must be in an enclosure.

If they will be accessible for inspection, then any enclosure which is generally suitable for use as an electrical enclosure can be used.

If they will not be accessible for inspection, then a suitable maintenance free junction box is needed, and you need to follow it's instructions. If you go the Wago route, that means matching up the correct Wagobox with the corresponding Wago terminals. The classic wagobox is designed for the 773 push-in and 222 series lever terminals, but if you use the 222 terminals, then you quickly run out of space. The Wagobox 221-4 is designed for 221-4xx series lever terminals and is a better bet if you want/need lever terminals (if all your wiring is T&E then push-ins are ok, but push-ins aren't suitable for use with flex, whereas lever terminals are).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use this RichTee, they're easy to use.

>>>>
ASJ501.JPG

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

Though what you have posted are fine too, I think Tool station do Wagos in smaller packs https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=wago connectors

Only J803 and J804 are MF, that above needs to be accessible, so no good for the OP
Sorry Chivers :)
We haven't been told exactly what "in the ceiling" means in the OP's case.

What if a JB such as the ('non-MF') J501 illustrated by Chivers were 'accessible' through the hole accommodating a downlight (obviously after removing the downlight :) ). Would you consider that to be 'compliant'?

Kind Regards, John

Thank you all! appreciate the help. The junction box would not even be accesible via the light hole. I went with the Debox in the end, those Wagos look a bit expensive. I may use those when I come to connect my lighting up though.

Only J803 and J804 are MF, that above needs to be accessible, so no good for the OP
Sorry Chivers :)
We haven't been told exactly what "in the ceiling" means in the OP's case.

What if a JB such as the ('non-MF') J501 illustrated by Chivers were 'accessible' through the hole accommodating a downlight (obviously after removing the downlight :) ). Would you consider that to be 'compliant'?

Kind Regards, John
Acceptable through a hole, yes thats what there designed for and were called downlighter boxes or something, however the op said in post 1 it was NOT accessible

Acceptable through a hole, yes thats what there designed for and were called downlighter boxes or something, however the op said in post 1 it was NOT accessible
Yes, I realise that's what he wrote, but I wasn't sure whether he realised that 'accessible through a hole' (after removal of the downlight) would probably count as 'accessible'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back