WB Greenstar 28i junior - Water down Flue ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 yr old WB 28i has been working ok until today , Now blue light slow flash (normally off flashes on) and reset button steady flashing .According to the manual this has the following possible solutions/check :-
Gas present and correct pressure
combustion co2 level
Flue condition
ignite electrodes /harness/connections
gas valve /lv harness connections
otherwise replace control board

Prior to the above fault there was torrential rain being blown almost horizonally in the direction of the flue . My question is could rain have entered the flue to cause the above fault ? or is it coincidental . And if so is it likely to correct itself ?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
There is a electrical connection at the back of the gas valve which is almost in the bottom of the casing on older models. This connection is prone to getting wet if excessive water enters the flue or the angle of the flue is too much. If the the connnectors subsequently get damp the cause a short and the boiler locks out. WB have recognised this problem by producing a 'rain guard' part No 8 716 111 601 0 and raising the gas valve and connectors on later models. Above all you need to keep theconnectors dry. Do not operate the boiler without the cover on. Get a competent person to do this for you.

Rainwater can also run onto the fan killing the fan board. Later models have a plastic guard to help prevent this. Great Worcester quality :rolleyes:

It is quite an early Greenstar. The gas valve is mounted low down in the casing so that the electrical connections may be immersed in water if water is blown in to the boiler through the air intake part of the flue..

Turn off the electrical supply until you can get a GS installer to open the case and dry out the inside of the boiler... It should be fine once it is dry. I had a similar issue with my early SI when the downspout blocked with leaves and the guttering overflowed, allowing water to enter my boiler..

Sponsored Links
Rainwater can also run onto the fan killing the fan board. Later models have a plastic guard to help prevent this. Great Worcester quality :rolleyes:

To be fair to WB, they did correct the design flaws once they were recognised, not that it excuses those design flaws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back