WBP or cement board under floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have approx. 22mm thick floorboards over which I want to tile (I don't know the tile type or thickness yet as we haven't chosen them). Should I put the recommended 12mm WBP down, or (as I've read elsewhere) cement board? If the latter, what thickness should I use, 6mm or 12mm? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would thoroughly screw the floorboards to the joists (being careful to avoid cables/pipes) then prime the floorboards with sbr.

Wait for this to dry then stick 6mm cement boards down with a flexible cement based adhesive. Screw the cement board down as you go (you can buy suitable screws for this, hardi screws for example). You probably want around 18 screws per board.

You also need to tape the joints of the boards, this can be done as you go as well. Use the correct tape (similar to scrim tape but made of a different material). Bed this tape down with tile tile adhesive and smooth off.

Thanks, Chris. You reckon 6mm will be rigid enough then?

Sponsored Links
6mm cement board is what you use for overlay on floors, not 12mm. I’ve laid countless floors with the method explained above with no failures. Full bed of flexible tile adhesive with an 8mm notch trowel coupled with the correct type and number of screws will be absolutely fine

All the pros that I work with only use 12mm.

Andy

You really are chatting rubbish mate, and now filling someone with doubt where it is not needed. As above, 6mm is used as an overlay on a throughly fixed timber floor with little to no deflection. With a full bed of adhesive underneath, the ‘flex’ issue as you put it doesn’t even step in to the equation. 12mm can be used on the floor, but has no effect on rigidity, only to make up heights if needed, but usually you would be after the least build up possible.

@SomeUser Have a read on the james hardie website about Hardie backer. They will tell you all the info you need to know, including that you use 6mm for floor overlay.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Andy

No problem. But on a serious note, stop giving people completely the wrong information. You obviously have zero clue what you’re talking about, and you’ve just highlighted that again in your last comment. I’d also love to see these ‘pros’ you work with, they obviously have zero clue either. Stick to your drainage pal...

Abuse of member's family removed
Abuse of member's family removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back