WC Cistern Lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just had a new bathroom suite fitted and the lid of the WC cistern doesn't come off.
I'm no plumber but I'm sure it's supposed to. Can you please tell me how to 'release' it so I can decide whether I need to get the plumber back or not.

Any replies gratefully received :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. Yes it does have a push button on top.

Just to make sure I've understood you both correctly, are you saying that sometimes the lid is screwed to the cistern itself?

Can't say I've ever come across that before. I've got 2 WCs in my own house, one push button, the other handle and in both cases the cistern lid just lifts straight off :confused:

Sponsored Links
If its one of the wonderful (cheap) B&Q/Wickes W.C.'s then may have the lid held on by the chrome collar that contains the flush buttons. Gently depress the buttons, and you should find it will unscrew.

Thank you Hugh. It's not from BnQ or Wickes but I've had problems with the bath and basin so don't know why I'm surprised about the WC :rolleyes:

how can you have problems with a bath + basin :eek: - you didn`t get a gas safe fitter to fit them , did you ;)

Sorted :D I did as was suggested and unscrewed the push-button collar and, hey presto, the lid came off :cool:
Many thanks again guys

Just out of interest, why were you wanting to get the lid off? Do not use cistern blocks in push-button toilets, it will cause them to leak.

I wanted to take the lid off so that I could tile behind it.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back