WC Connection Direct to Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a 1930's bungalow with a lean-to on the bath room wall. The bungalow has a two pipe drainage system. WC directly to manhole and all other waste to gully. There is a vent pipe outside.

Now the bathroom basin and bath waste come out through the bathroom wall into the gully that is inside the lean-to. Washing machine also connects to the bath waste run inside the lean-to

I would like to divert the basin/bath waste and block this gully and tile over.
Because of the smells and damp.

I have looked at part H building regs and can’t see any mention of connecting a boss to WC soil pipe connecting directly to a drain.

The Boss would be over 450mm above the drain invert and more than 200mm below the pan connector.

Can this be done? Or am I missing something

My other option would be to have a 4 metre run to another gully. I would have to check if one run would serve the bath, basin and washing machine.

Sponsored Links
Smell sometimes happens, but damp? If the gulley is working correctly it should be taking the water away, precisely to avoid damp! Possible broken gulley or pipe there.

You could replace the gulley with a new plastic version, these have bosses to accept incoming wastes and you can fit a screw down lid in place of the grid to seal it. I dont see why you cant connect the wastes into the W.C. drain though should you wish to. I'd still look to seal the gulley off though, broken pipes can encourage rats as they've an escape route.....

If you want to run the 4m to the other gulley i'd upgrade to 50mm pipe if you have 3 appliances on the run.

Thanks Hugh

Shoudnt really have used the term damp. Its just splash back from the bath/washing machine hitting the grid. That would be easy fixed but the smell is the real problem even with keeping the gully clean. Think its the heat evaporating the waste water when the lean-to is closed up for a day

If I route the waste away from this gully and seal it. Can I just cap the hopper or gully? and then tile over. Would this cause a problem later on if the water in the trap evaporated (would drain smells escape)

Think I will see if I have enough gradient to connect to the other gully outside. Got a feeling there isnt going to be.

Connecting to the WC pipe under the floor would be the easiest option but just cant find any information on connecting to a direct to drain WC online. All info is on a stack or sub stack with a WC branch. Can the WC vertical pipe be classed as a stack?

Section of pipe above ground is classed as a stack, once underground it becomes a drain....

Its one option, to fit a stub stack behind the W.C. providing there's room. Or replace gulley with a stub stack for the wastes. Another possibility is to fit a waste manifold and connect to that, assuming you are able to get a fall on the wastes. You can also get pan connectors with a boss adaptor, again this assumes you can get necessary fall on the wastes. What type of floor have you got? Digging up a solid floor to get the necessary level to provide a fall can be a P.I.T.A.....

You really need to seal the gulley off properly, there is the risk of smells from the drain and also rats look for an easy escape route. Wants concreting up at very least.

Sponsored Links
The bathroom floor is suspended and the stack is in the basement.

The waste pipe you can see is the bath waste and this goes through the wall to the lean-to where the washing machine joins it. Thats the pipe in the below picture going along the wall to the gully. The smaller pipe entering the gully straight from the wall is the basin waste

[/img]

The bath and washing machine has enough fall to join the stack above 4500mm. And the boss would be roughly were the pipe passes the stack now in the picture. But if i take the basin below the joists the boss would be below the 450mm. The basin is to the left of the stack picture so would need to go through the joists to to be above the 450mm. I know there are restriction on where you can drill holes in joists that I will check later.

What I could do it just route the basin waste around inside the room and join the washing and bath run in the corner. The more I think about that may be the solution.

Should I concrete the gully trap or cover the grid and concrete the hopper?

A picture tells a thousand words. You could fit a soil manifold or boss into the section of soil below the floor and connect wastes there. Drop wastes below joists, (could clip to underside of joists if need be), to avoid any notching.

I'd concrete over the grid, should get a couple of inches of concrete there to seal it, and makes it easier to remove should you ever wish to reinstate the gulley.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back