WC not aligning with soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I broke my pan the other day, walked into it with a 9lb sledge hammer by mistake. So I took all the measurements and went to B&Q to pick one up (it was 7pm on a Sat night). Could I find one - no! So I bought a close fit, flexible coupler and proceeded to fit the WC.

The problem is that the connection to the soil pipe is about 40mm out ( I know this as it is currently sitting on an off cut of a worktop). Now this pan is a temp fixing - £25 for the piece.

What I need to try and work out is how best to connect a pan that I want - to a cast iron pipe that is too high. In a perfect world I'd just remove or cut back the pipe - but I don't own a chain pipe cutting tool and so not sure how to proceed in either removing the pipe, cutting the pipe, raising the pan or finding a pan that will fit ok.

The old pan had an angled waste pipe and so the cast iron pipe is also at an angle. It was also originally cemented in place and I can only find horizontal ones. The cast iron pipe also has a cupped end (where the pan joins it).

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
We encounter this a fair bit. We recommend to our customers stack pipe replacement outside, but they usually prefer a cheaper option. Unfortunately, it is always a cut back job. We do it with an angle cutter and it only takes a few minutes. If you cant cut all the way around, a quick tap with a hammer usually finishes it off. The cast iron is likely to be full of rust inside and will need filing and scraping back to accomadate the new pan connector.

Hello again - well I've finally had the new pan etc delivered and so about to tackle cutting the castiron soil pipe.

I have a new connector with a rubber seal - the question I have is as this is a wall hung pan with the cistern concealed behind some plaster board - how can I make the seal as water tight as possible and semi-perm so it can't be pulled out easily (I currently have the old pan connected this was as a temp fixture and it comes away relatively easily).

Would plumbers mate be worth using, packing out with hemp (read that somewhere)? If so how do you do it?

cheers

silverhornet said:
Hello again - well I've finally had the new pan etc delivered and so about to tackle cutting the castiron soil pipe.

Would plumbers mate be worth using, packing out with hemp (read that somewhere)? If so how do you do it?

cheers
That would be red lead putty and gaskin, not M8and hemp...and you`d have as much trouble getting some as you would getting me to do it :LOL: I just LOVE retirement:cool:

Sponsored Links
Nice one...roll on another 15 yrs or so...!

Cast on pipe...rip it out and fit a new plastic soil pipe!!

Your probably spend hours {& £s] trying to seal the new pan connector to the original cast iron pipe. :( :(

This site is good, but I would call in a professional to do this job. ;)

moliver34 said:
Nice one...roll on another 15 yrs or so...!

Cast on pipe...rip it out and fit a new plastic soil pipe!!
Your probably spend hours {& £s] trying to seal the new pan connector to the original cast iron pipe. :( :(

This site is good, but I would call in a professional to do this job. ;)

Not always practical when the cast iron pipe goes into and along a wall cavity to the new plasic soil on the ousite of the house. I managed to cut the cast iron pipe and fit the plasic waste inside the iron one having filed the rust etc in the mouth and removing the rubber 'collar' so that it fitted very snugly and water/odour tight.

Unfortunately removing the whole cast pipe is not an option.

I have cut the cast iron pipe back to remove the collar and pushed the rubber grommet and flexi pipe back in and it seems to be ok (for the moment). However, I would be happier if I could get a tighter fit - I will look into fitting the plastic pipe straight in but in orde for this to form an airtight seal i will need to fill the old castiron pipe in slightly - any suggestions on what to use - David's P38 or equivalent?

Either that or I could just fit a rubber connector ( the ones with the jubilee clips on either end?)

The rubber connector option is (usually) fine for 100mm plastic to 4" or whatever CI. But you said you'd got a back-to-wall WC. How are you going to fit a rubber connector onto that??

If you go CI to 100mm plastic, you'll then need to anchor it somehow so the Multiquik or whatever pan connector you're using can't move.

It all sounds like a bit of a nightmare.....

If the "wall" your new pan is "back to " I don't see a problem, as long as it's strong enough. DOubled up 3/4" ply, glued together, is OK. The black rubber connectors with jubilee clips are v good, by the way.

Problem with 'wall hung pans' (which OP said he had) is that they usually push onto the soil connector and onto the securing bolts at the same time. Put the nuts on and you're done.

If this is your setup, you may well be done! There's usually no room to get behind the falsework and between it and the cistern to get any tools anywhere near the screw on (eg) a large jubilee clip. That's why (I believe) you need a well-fitting WC connector held firmly in exactly the right position.

silverhornet said:
Unfortunately removing the whole cast pipe is not an option.

I have cut the cast iron pipe back to remove the collar and pushed the rubber grommet and flexi pipe back in and it seems to be ok (for the moment). However, I would be happier if I could get a tighter fit - I will look into fitting the plastic pipe straight in but in orde for this to form an airtight seal i will need to fill the old castiron pipe in slightly - any suggestions on what to use - David's P38 or equivalent?

Either that or I could just fit a rubber connector ( the ones with the jubilee clips on either end?)

I didn't need to fill in the cast iron pipe at all the plasic pipe formed such a snug fit when pushed right iside the cast iron one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back