Wearing screed fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I laid a couple of 20kg bags of this product (https://www.resins.direct/products/heavy-duty-self-levelling-cement-screed) in my outbuilding today, however the finished floor is probably more uneven that the floor I put it down on. For info, the floor is in an outbuilding (1.4m x 2m).

I followed the instructions to the letter, however the final mix had little movement in it after pouring, with peaks failing to flatten on their own almost immediately. I did try working with a trowel and spiked roller, but they just created new peaks.

Firstly, does anyone have experience of this product? My aim was to use this as a final finish (once painted with garage floor paint).

Secondly, I now need to remedy the floor. I was thinking of a combination of grinding the high points, then laying another later of (wearing) SLC, however I can see that a scabbler / concrete planer might be the solution.

My concern with a scabbler is whether it will ever get to a flat surface if the existing surface is all over the place? I wasn't sure if such a machine gradually finds it's level, or whether it only works of a floor that is mostly flat, but has a few high spots.

Any recommendations on this? Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
A push along/walk behind concrete planer is quite like a drum floor sander in operation and is not going to be able to get into the corners. To get into those you need a concrete grinder that looks like a 9in angle grinder (with appropriate extraction because they generste a sh*t load of dust). Personally, I think a walk behind grinder will be too large for such a small space. In any case the level you get is down to the skill of the operator - the machine itself is fairly dumb. Good for taking out high spots (providing you know where they are to start with) though

Thanks - I did suspect that a large push machine would likely be too big for my little outbuilding. I'll see if any local tool hire companies offer concrete grinders, otherwise I'll probably need to buy a suitable angle-grinder disc and use with a big Karcher vacuum pipe strapped to my arm.

Beyond that, it anyone has any recommendations for a wearing screed that actually self-levels, please let me know!

When i levelled my last workshop i was told that if you want self levelling then it won't wear well. So we screeded, then ground out the high spots with a concrete (angle) grinder - hired in as was the cyclone extractor that went with it because the grinder had a special, and very necessary, dust hood with hose connector and a cyclone extractor is necessary to remove the massive quantities of cloying fine concrete dust which would rapidly overwhelm a domestic vacuum.

Sponsored Links
The company that sold it to me made no indication it would be any more difficult to lay vs. standard (non-wearing) SLC, which I have laid on a couple of occasions in the past. Nothing I have previously used was this poor in terms of self-levelling after pouring.

I'd like to try grinding back the floor and was thinking of one of these: https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Building/Floor-Planer-Hire/210110/. However, am I correct in thinking you need a flat "reference" area of floor to use as a starting point? If so, this might be a challenge for me - see below...

IMG_20200601_212058.jpg

...am I correct in thinking you need a flat "reference" area of floor to use as a starting point?
AFAIK yes. I thought the heavy wear compound you refer was designed to be smoothed out with a flooring bull float or the like

In retrospect, a bull float certainly would've helped. I was led to believe a spiked roller would work well, but the compound seemed too thick when I tried to use it (despite being mixed as per instructions).

Wish I'd just painted the concrete slab and lived with the slightly uneven floor that was there before...

if i’m not mistaken , from the finish, you mixed it too thick. I have not had any experience with this particular product , but have successfully broken up other levelling screeds quite easily with a wide sds chisel, if you wanted to remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back