Weather compensation on old single pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a one pipe on a largish house with a floor standing old boiler - It is 2 inch pipework!

Is weather comp suggested for a one pipe system and I was going to go for a Vitodens 200 - Now you got me starting to think about an intergas. Any ideas now we are ten years later which one to pick

Sponsored Links
Seems to me a weather compensating system on an old one pipe (and possibly gravity hot water) with an old boiler is like giving a sat nav to a Pony Express rider! Over complicated and unlikely to be worth the outlay. ;)

I do not see why weather compensation should not work in theory.

But single pipe sometimes does not work well unless most of the property is required to be heated.

Another problem is that it was designed for a flow of 80 C and a return of 70C.

Modern condensing boilers work best at a flow of 65 C and a return of 45 C

That does not give much heat output for the last few rads on a one pipe.

Seems to me a weather compensating system on an old one pipe (and possibly gravity hot water) with an old boiler is like giving a sat nav to a Pony Express rider! Over complicated and unlikely to be worth the outlay. ;)
Thank you - That was my view as well - I wanted to get something super simple and basic

Then I started to read that weather comp on a one pipe was absolutely required to ensure that the one pipe system did not heat up the rads in the summer and still warmed the hot water cylinder. (I have only a two port valve and when hot water is needed the heating is turned off)

Is my understanding wrong?

Sponsored Links
Weather comp is, in essence, a method of referencing a temperature, that is external and is used to minimise over and under-shooting desired, internal target temperatures.

As long as the curves are set correctly, it should provide better internal comfort temperatures as it will prevent see-sawing. The only complication would be the responsiveness of the 1 pipe, in combination with the heat source.

As said your old system is very basic "if it works don't fix it". Any money you have would be better spent replacing the system where you will get real benefits.

Unfortunately I cannot replace everything at once. I can replace pieces incrementally and gradually.

I want to replace the boiler and hit cylinder and leave the pipe work for a good few years

With that in mind the question was posed of whether a one pipe system would benefit from an advanced boiler or not

As long as the old pipework has a good flush and the cylinder, DHW pipework and valves replaced, it will work, but any one pipe system will never work as well as a two pipe.

As long as the old pipework has a good flush and the cylinder, DHW pipework and valves replaced, it will work, but any one pipe system will never work as well as a two pipe.
Thank you. And the question was whether given all of this you would go a for a fancy weather comp boiler with many sensors like a Viessman 200 or whether you would go ultra cheap main Baxi heat only

Will I benefit from having a sat nav for a pony cart horse

I would go for basic CH controls keep it simple then any qualified gas engineer will be able to sort out any breakdowns or trouble, otherwise in the middle of winter when your fancy system decides it is 20deg outside most fitters will scratch their head and run away after getting their call out charge.
Or suck in air through their teeth, with the phrase "these things are a right pain not sure if I can get the bits locally":unsure:.

Given the cost of fuel and the worry about battery life on EV's, a pony might be a good investment for local trips, good for keeping the lawn down too. No sat nav needed coming back from the pub just say home please Dobbin !(y)

I would go for basic CH controls keep it simple then any qualified gas engineer will be able to sort out any breakdowns or trouble, otherwise in the middle of winter when your fancy system decides it is 20deg outside most fitters will scratch their head and run away after getting their call out charge.
Or suck in air through their teeth, with the phrase "these things are a right pain not sure if I can get the bits locally":unsure:.

Given the cost of fuel and the worry about battery life on EV's, a pony might be a good investment for local trips, good for keeping the lawn down too. No sat nav needed coming back from the pub just say home please Dobbin !(y)
For anyone else in future - I spoke to technical team - The answer was to go for somehting basic as well - Single pipe system wont benefit from a weather comp or fancy system

So am sticking a baxi or viessman 100 in there and a filter and thats it - Will leave controls and pump in place and that will have to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back