weather strip (wooden one on the bottom of the door)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure this is the right name for it, as I thought a weather strip was the metal bit in the door step, but anyway, I have one and need to fit it.

But which way round does it go? Its got a slot running on both sides so could go either, but one side is 5.5cm and the other side is 4.5cm.

View media item 6997
I'm assuming thelonger one goes on the bottom?

Also, what fixings should I use to connect it? I was going to drill and screw it??

Also, the door is already painted. Does that matter? should I sand it back first? I was going to prime the weather strip and screw it on, then give it an undercoat and topcoat in situ

Sponsored Links
That sounds ok, I put a thin bead of transparent silcone on the join between the top of the strip and the door, but remember to do this after you have stained and or painted the strip or it will look monumentally bad.

just had a thought, I intended to attach it through the front of the strip and into the door, for no other reason than that is how a friends is attached that I looked at the other day.

But surely a better option is to drill and screw it from inside the door??

Its a fairly new (1 year old) hardwood door, drilled and dowled construction. I dont think any of the screws would go near the dowels though.

I like the silicon idea too, I'll use that .

Don't really think it matters, personally I'd use stainless screws, but then I use stainless for pretty much everything.

Sponsored Links
There are called "weather boards" around here.

The go either way and it depends on the frame or cill arrangement

IMO, its better to screw these from the back of the door so that there are no screw heads visible or requiring to be filled

weatherbar
w_bar.jpg

Hi All

Thanks very much for all your help.

I have cut it to length, predrilled the holes and primed it.

I'll attach it tomorrow if the weather is fair and give it an undercoat in situ.

Thanks again for you help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back