Weatherproofing concrete block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an external concrete block wall built with 9"hollow blocks that have been filled with concrete. It is being used as a back wall to a grain/feed store on my farm. The wall is often damp causing feed to go off, so we have hung a PVC sheet ovet it. This only serves to encourage vermin :rolleyes:

What would you suggest to weatherproof the wall? The wall is as the day I built it, with peirs at about 9'centres, 28' long, 8' tall with "fibre cement" sheeting above it. I'm not bothered about looks, its out of general sight.

I'm open to all suggestions, and an indication of cost would be helpful.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Have you thought of painting a bitumen membrane over it? Many years ago we used to put two coats of syntapruf on the wall after scratching it up first for a key(One coat with brush marks vertical and leave till dry then the next coat horizontal, on the second coat before it was dry we used to blind it with sand. Then when it was dried out brush the loose sand off and then render it as normal. We used to use Sovereign chemicals for this so I would give them a ring for some advice.. I'm sorry if this sounds like an advert for sovereign but it wasn't meant that way(for the mods) ;)

You can 2 coat cement render the wall with a waterproofer additive in the mix and that will help, or you can use a brush applied coating. "Synthaprufe". Google it and see what you think.

Great minds think alike RoyC.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
the synthaprufe looks interesting, but I am always a bit wary of these types of products, whats the lifetime like on this? It also looks a bit pricey...£35 a 5l drum?

There is currently a stack of firewood against the external side of the wall, which is to be moved, but the problem predates the woodpile. The site is not particularly exposed.

No DPC. To the shame of my late grandfather who was a senior lecturer in bricklaying and latterly president of the Guild of Bricklayers. Building has changed use, and will no doubt change again in its lifetime.

"Synthaprufe" has been around a long time, and is a great product, but I don't know the technical details of it. Another product is Bituthene which is sticky bitumin membrane that comes in 20 metre rolls, cost around £100.00 per roll, :eek: .Synthaprufe would be a good option and probably the cheapest, you could paint it on yourself. Dont wash the brush out, just put it into a bucket of water until the next time. To scratch coat and render the wall plus materials would be a bit pricey too.

Roughcaster.

There is another product called "Acropol" and this is very good and it works well, but it is really expensive!!! Depends on what you want to spend! You now get what you pay for!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back