Garden wall - concrete block type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

So I've done quite a bit of block work before.
Built a single storey workshop with cavity wall etc, and been through the building control process, so not an issue with technique.

Where I would like some advice is that I'm replacing a section of garden fence with a 6ft wall. This is a non retaining wall. It's about a 15M run. My plan is to constructed from 100mm wide dense concrete block, with pillars every 3 meters.

Is this the best construction method, or would I be better off with hollow blocks (concrete filled) or wider blocks and reduce the pillar count?

Cheers all,

Steve

Sponsored Links
youre not bothered about the appearance then????.

I always prefer a 225mm wall myself and do away with piers.i would always use bricks but as its blocks on the spec,i would lay them flat as i prefer this look to them layed in a conventional way.

you will gerts lots of varying ideas and options.

Appearance, yea a little, but here's the reason.
It's right at the bottom of the garden - from my side, there's going to be a shed in front, and I intend to continue the wooden fence up to the shed (gladding if it has to go over the wall) just so it looks nice.
The neighbours side is basically a large composting/dump area - I was intending to continue the fence, but the previous fence rotted to nothing, so I figured the wall would make a better barrier.

Like I said, it's 15M long, 1.8M tall.

Avoiding piers is my preference. There's a 12M run to a corner, then a 3M run. From what I understand as guidance, a 2M high wall needs 300mm wide blocks.

i would be erring on the side of caution, thats a long length of wall to fall in a high wind.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back