type of concrete blocks for retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to build a retaining wall in our garden where we have dug into our
sloping garden for an extension.

The wall will be only about 2ft tall.

The soil is clay, it has been unsupported for about 2 years and hasn't moved.

I'm planning on building a wall from blocks, then cladding it in half-round wood poles.

I'm not sure what type of blocks to use, could I use Thermolite blocks ?
it would be good if I could use thermolite blocks as they are much easier to work with than "proper" concrete blocks.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Steve

Sponsored Links
no thermalite blocks are for internal walls and are too weak and porous for external walls.it is better to use concrete.i think durox blocks which are similar to thermalite are for external but have never laid them.you would have to ask the builders merchant from simon the bricky/builder

100mm dense concrete blocks will be fine for that height of wall.

Mega old thread I know. I am doing a similar wall, however, it's not retaining, more of a 3m long planter wall, about 2 foot high. I had the same question, what brick to use, now I know :)

Any chance of seeing some photos of the work, any pointers you can share?.

I have poured a 3.5 inch concrete footing to take the brickwork. Did you do the same?, How about drainage? Weep holes?.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Actually measured it again it's more like 3.5 inches, my bad. Looked like 2 inches. 75kgs of concrete doesn't go a long way that's for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back