Web pages taking a while

Cheers Tim...the clean up programme I have cleaned the comp of spyware too...well all that I know of..i'll run it through spybot or something for super safety..

The registry..hmmmmmmmmthats when things get risky.. :eek:

How do I check the registry..is there a progamme?

Sponsored Links
There are ones that check for broken links to programs invalid shortcuts etc etc Regclean is one.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zampa,

I realise you said you ran into grief last time you tried it, but I beleive the "cure all" solution for stuff like this is to reformat it with a nice clean install, get everything set up just the way you like it and then use something like Acronis True image to ghost it.

I have my PC set up this way, if it ever starts playing up rather than wasting my time and effort trying to figure out what's up, i can just put a CD in and reimage from an external HDD in around 6 mins.

I work in the geeky world of IT, so the last thing I want to do when i get home is repair my own PC.

Hi Zampa,

I realise you said you ran into grief last time you tried it, but I beleive the "cure all" solution for stuff like this is to reformat it with a nice clean install, get everything set up just the way you like it and then use something like Acronis True image to ghost it.

I have my PC set up this way, if it ever starts playing up rather than wasting my time and effort trying to figure out what's up, i can just put a CD in and reimage from an external HDD in around 6 mins.

I work in the geeky world of IT, so the last thing I want to do when i get home is repair my own PC.
disinfo, I'm interested in this but I have vista installed on a partition. If I get another sata hard drive, can I just plug it in, use acronis to copy the partition then re-install that partition at a later date if it goes t*ts up? Will this work with a partition?

EDIT: Just checked it out on the user manual on their website. Looks like it will. £12 a pop on Ebay too. :D

I think so,

Do you mean you have Vista installed on a partition and then a dual boot menu so that you can load another OS?

This is what I have at the moment; (all sata)

My OS Drive C:
Data 1 D:
Data 2 E:
Images F:

Sometimes I like to try different OS's setting them up from scratch etc for work projects. To do this, I just image my entire OS drive to my images drive and label it with the date, that way I can format, put on a different OS have a mess about and then re-image back to windows.

Because I've set up a linux OS and imaged it, I could put the boot disk in and turn my system into a debian system in minutes, while keeping my data untouched because they are on seperate physical volumes.

It's a very versatile application, well worth £12

I have vista installed on a 40 gig partition of a 320 gig hard drive. I also have another 160 gig hard drive as a back up drive. So what I'd be looking to do is copy the 40 gig partition to the backup drive and re-install the operating software from this backup if I have problems.
I've just bought the software. ;)

I have vista installed on a 40 gig partition of a 320 gig hard drive. I also have another 160 gig hard drive as a back up drive. So what I'd be looking to do is copy the 40 gig partition to the backup drive and re-install the operating software from this backup if I have problems.
I've just bought the software. ;)

Excellent, you wont regret it.

mines been slow today too.
On the speed check link I get
Download 1976Kbps
Upload 128kbps
What do this mean :confused:
Looks like your broadband speed is capped at 2Mb if this is typical of speeds you get.
The chart below indicates typical speeds for broadband connection

ADSL ................Typical......................Typical
Speed................Download.................Upload

512Kbps............460 Kbps..................200-240 Kbps
1Mbps..............920 Kbps...................200-240 Kbps
2Mbps.............1840 Kbps..................200-240 Kbps
8Mbps.............7150 Kbps..................400-750 Kbps

Might be worth checking with other speed testers these are my results for today:
http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
Speed Down 2176Kbps
Speed Up 241Kbps

http://www.broadband.org/speed_test.html?gclid=CNXuuIvf1ZICFQpjQgodLWKa-g
Speed Down 1968Kbps
Speed Up 241KBps

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Speed Down 2109.53 Kbps ( 2.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 240.38 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )

........The registry..hmmmmmmmmthats when things get risky.. :eek:

How do I check the registry..is there a progamme?
There are a lot of Registry cleaners around some comparisons here
http://www.registrycleanercompared.com/?gclid=CIy12IHi1ZICFQpeQgod_Wlw_Q
They also offer free scans - although I suspect that you will end up with a report about issues and then have to buy the prog. to fix them :D
I have not looked but there are probably some freeware/shareware offerings - might be worth doing a search.

Cheers :D
Tony[/b]

Cheers......

I also get a lot of IE7 error messages that shut the any web pages down...normally happens once or twice during a 2 hour internet session.

Sounds possible that IE7 application has somehow become corrupted. Ideally it would be best if you could re install IE7 - however I think it is tied into Windows Vista and difficult to do.

If you have the original Vista install disk you might want to try using the System File Check - from run type sfc /scannow. This will check for corrupt files etc and may help. More information
HERE
Microsoft help on IE problems
HERE
Internet explorer freezes in Vista
HERE

Hope this of some help
Tony

Thanks Tony..im running xp home though..

I did try to update and repair it last week, but I still have the problem

Sorry, for some reason got the impression you were using Vista. The things I suggested would also apply to XP though.

Your original post related to slow page loading in IE7 - do you have any other issues running other programs?

If everything else is ok then IE7 suspect. There seem to be a large number of people complaining about IE7 issue on the net.

One thing you might like to dry is disabling add on such as google search bar etc. Do not use IE7 myself but in IE6 - goto Tools/Manage Add ons click on each and select to disable. Try browsing for a while and see if this helps. If it does then re enable add ons one at a time and continue testing until you locate the problem one.

From your post it seems that you have done quite a lot to try and improve matters. In your position I think I would be tempted to revert back to IE6 for a while at least and see if problems continue. This article from MS explains the process http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

If none of this works you may have to consider saving your work reformat and reload windows and applications. Sometimes this is quicker than chasing various solutions.

Cheers :D
Tony

Sponsored Links
Back