Weed growth on driveway, grrrrrrr!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the driveway re-done two years ago, paid to have it leanmixed quite excessively as a wanted as much as poss to avoid not only the tramlines from stones but also weed growth. I then had 20mm stone overlaid. all good and works well.

Last summer paid another guy to do the patio in the back garden, big mistake. He quickly filled the 2 yd skip with the spoil from the excavated lawn area and in his wisdom emptied the type 1 as he went on the patio bit and used the now empty bags to fill with the remaining spoil. All this was done on my front driveway.

On my return home all I could describe it as was carnage, there was spoil everywhere, the clown who was the gopher on the wheelbarrow had scattered a large amount on the drive rather than the bags. When I asked why this quickly concocked plan couldn't have been done on a tarpaulin to avoid this I was spoken to as though I was being picky.

As you can imagine a year on instead of the usual and expected odd weed managing to grow in the drive thru the stones, I have a patch of almost green quilt where the spoil was all spilt.

Does anybody have any suggestions, mine so far range from weed killer which has had little effect to the other extreme of hiring a mini digger to scrape off the affected area and dispose off, then re dress with new stone, I think it will take about 2 ton of new stone.

Many thanks as usual.

Sponsored Links
Whilst i'm sure it is very annoying you can probably hold off on the mini digger.

It would take maybe an hour to rake back a couple of tons of gravel then scrape up any detritus. You'll loose maybe a third of the stone if its really bad and may need a bit of new stuff or if you have patience riddle and wash it. Another 30mins to put the stone back.

A pain in the ass but not exactly a major project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back