weed killer granules

so it would need to be a stature or law that specifically forbade me from pouring vinegar over a weed in my garden...

No, it wouldn't. Assuming you mean statute. No idea what stature is in this context.

Fantastic! I get to come over all pedantic, like ban-all-sheds :D

You are correct, of course. Let me post exactly the same question, but with better spelling; So, when you accused people of acting illegally, can you please let us know which statute or law they were personally breaking?
Do bear in mind that, as this is a DIY forum, then my question relates to what individuals do in their own gardens.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic! I get to come over all pedantic, like ban-all-sheds :D

You are correct, of course. Let me post exactly the same question, but with better spelling; So, when you accused people of acting illegally, can you please let us know which statute or law they were personally breaking?
Do bear in mind that, as this is a DIY forum, then my question relates to what individuals do in their own gardens.

The Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986 enabled by the Food and Enviroment Protection Act 1985.

Definition of Pesticides

Under FEPA, a pesticide is any substance, preparation or organism prepared or used, among other uses, to protect plants or wood or other plant products from harmful organisms; to regulate the growth of plants; to give protection against harmful creatures; or to render such creatures harmless.

Who is Affected by the Legislation?

Anyone who advertises, sells, supplies, stores or uses a pesticide is affected by the legislation, including people who use pesticides in their own homes, gardens and allotments.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidan...pesticide-approvals/legislation/fepa-and-copr

At the risk of dragging this out even longer. The point is not whether there is legislation that covers pesticides, its whether a small amount of vinegar of salt applied in a garden would be considered a breach of this legislation and that is a matter of opinion. The test of this is whether there is a legal precedent, i.e. has anyone ever been successfully prosecutor for this before. If not then its purely speculation and I personally doubt that a home-owner would be prosecuted or even warned for spraying a little vinegar in the garden.

I don't pick and choose the laws I comply with based on the likelihood of prosecution. Anyone who reads these posts is free to make their own choice about whether to observe the law. However, in my view which others clearly disagree with, it's irresponsible on a public forum to promote illegal behaviour. I don't see it happening up the board with wiring or gas regs and this is no different.

Sponsored Links
Again, my point is that its only your opinion that its illegal, an interesting and valid opinion but not a fact.

Again, my point is that its only your opinion that its illegal, an interesting and valid opinion but not a fact.

No. It's not my opinion. It's the law which I linked to a few posts back. Case law is not necessary. The enabling legislation and regulations are there.

No. It's not my opinion. It's the law which I linked to a few posts back. Case law is not necessary. The enabling legislation and regulations are there.

All the link you provided does is provide a basis to bring someone to court. Its the court that decides whether a law is broken, not you. Hence its your opinion that its against the law, unless you can provide an example of a precedent of someone being taken to court and convicted for spraying vinegar or salt in their own garden.

Kaymo said:
All the link you provided does is provide a basis to bring someone to court. Its the court that decides whether a law is broken, not you. Hence its your opinion that its against the law, unless you can provide an example of a precedent of someone being taken to court and convicted for spraying vinegar or salt in their own garden.

Er, no. That's not how it works. The criminal act is defined by the statute. Guilt or innocence of the criminal act is determined by the court on the evidence presented.

Vinegar or salt or homemade concoctions used in the way you are suggesting are pesticides as defined by the legislation - see the definition of pesticide from the legislation given upthread. To be used legally, a pesticide must have an approval and a licence - that's also in the legislation. Vinegar, salt or homemade concoctions don't have approvals or licenses for use as pesticides - the Garden Use Pesticides Database maintained by the CRD contains details of all approvals, they aren't in it. It's very clear.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and sing la la la, I can't hear you but it doesn't change what's legal and what's not.

Kaymo is right.

Strawberry milkshake isn't on the list of approved pesticides. If I pored it all over my garden claiming it was being used it as a pesticide, it would be the legislation that would take me to court.

It would then be the role of the court to decide if the law had been broken.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and sing la la la, I can't hear you, but that is the court's job!

Otherwise we'll have police officers arresting offenders and dropping them off at prison - skipping the court process altogether!

Kaymo is right.

Strawberry milkshake isn't on the list of approved pesticides. If I pored it all over my garden claiming it was being used it as a pesticide, it would be the legislation that would take me to court.

It would then be the role of the court to decide if the law had been broken.

You can stick your fingers in your ears and sing la la la, I can't hear you, but that is the court's job!

Otherwise we'll have police officers arresting offenders and dropping them off at prison - skipping the court process altogether!

Read my post again. What is says is that the legislation defines what is and isn't a criminal act. The court determines guilt or innocence of the criminal act as defined in the legislation based on the evidence presented.

the answer to the original question is Pathclear, as stated long ago by ceres.

The OP does not say why he thinks he needs to buy it in non-domestic quantities. If it is for business use he could find a trade supplier for a professional pack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back