weedkiller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a jungle growing on the strip of land by the side of my house ....can anyone tell me the best weedkiller available to use on it..
A mate has suggested sodium phospate but i havnt a clue where to get this....anyone ?

Sponsored Links
assuming the land owners have given you the ok?

as for the weed killer i suggest you ask you "mate" seeing as he is full of such bright ideas

Sodium Chlorate is the total weedkiller but it will leach sideways so dont use it on land next to your neighbours or it will kill off some of his plants too.
It lasts up to 12 months before being washed out of the soil.
A glyphosate weedkiller is systemic and will kill the weeds down to their roots without staying active in the soil.
Many garden shops dont like selling sodium chlorate as it was used to make explosives but something was added 35 years ago to stop its oxygenating properties.

Sodium chlorate is caustic soda. You may find it in an ironmongers under the " clean my sink pipes out " department.
But it is pretty lethal stuff, I use it at work for burning alluminium out of extrusion dies, if it gets on your skin it burns ( very high alkalinity) if it gets in your eye get to a hospital fast !!

Sponsored Links
Correction: Caustic soda is sodium hydroxide not sodium chlorate and sodium carbonate (soda ash) is washing soda.
Such things are taught in the first year of chemistry at school.

As breezer pointed out, if the land is owned by someone, perhaps they want a jungle growing in it. What exactly is growing in it? Don't say "weeds", all plants have a latin name and a common name in most cases. If you can only say "weeds" you might find an interest you didn't know you had once you learn to differentiate between the various plants.

Dewy said:
Correction: Caustic soda is sodium hydroxide not sodium chlorate and sodium carbonate (soda ash) is washing soda.
Such things are taught in the first year of chemistry at school.
Ooops, :oops: I read the bag when I got to work, I boo booed. But caustic soda does clear an area as long as you don't want to re-plant !!

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back