Weedkiller

it has to be translocated to the roots to kill them. In sunny weather you may see results in a week. Has it been sunny?

Sponsored Links
Ok, impatience on my part perhaps.
It was cloudy yesterday but brighter today. I will keep an eye on it

Sponsored Links
Watching lazy, stupid, ignorant people poison the environment in this way is demoralising to say the least. Oh well, we deserve what we get.

Yep. read the instructions and there is nothing on there specifically for a watering can. Hence, I adopted the suggestion provided by someone in an earlier post. Seemed plausible.
According to my research, this product is not illegal in the UK and many other parts of the world and hence, deemed safe to use.

Yep. read the instructions and there is nothing on there specifically for a watering can. Hence, I adopted the suggestion provided by someone in an earlier post. Seemed plausible.

No not “someone”, it was ME. My “have you read the instructions” comment was in reply to your observation that nothing had happened after 30 hours. If you had actually read the instructions you would have seen this:

D9BF3D15-907F-4743-A575-72CE9F87F87F.jpeg

Aah, sorry pal. Didn’t pick that up until now. Thanks for all your help

I use dishwasher salt (dissolved in water) to kill the weeds on my drive.
How much do you use and how effective do you find it?

Ordinary salt (sodium chloride) will sterilise the ground effectively, though it could leach into areas where you don't want to kill the plants. Sodium chlorate was extremely effective, but was outlawed because it could be used to make explosives ...

Family legend records that my grandfather was told that salt was a cheap and effective weedkiller and spread it generously over the whole lawn to kill the dandelions.....

Last edited:
How much do you use and how effective do you find it?

I just keep adding salt to boiling water until it is saturated. Not very scientific. I did kill a 5ft young tree in about a month.

I only started using the salt this year. A friend mentioned "salting the earth" so I thought I'd give it a try.

I bought a bit tub of sachets of sodium chlorate from a garden centre, shortly before the ban. Had I known it was about to be banned, I'd have bought considerably more ;) Bearing in mind that it is an offence to possess it, as well as to sell it.

Have since been using glyphosate, but I can see that going the way of DDT once Bayer's obfuscations have finally been cut through. I have a big container in the shed, but won't be buying any more. My only weedkilling need is a big gravel drive, and I'm thinking a weed burner is going to be just as effective, and probably more fun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back