Weeds in pots and soil or compost in pots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we got two large pots with shrubs in them. I planted them last year and put bark layer.

I have got some weeds growing in them. Can't use weedkiller obviously.. Just a thought can I put weed control fabric or gravel around the shrub

Secondly, I am getting few new pots to plant. In general do you completely fill them. Up with regular compost or do you put some top soil... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Potting compost is mixed up to last about a year, after which the nutrients are exhausted. Garden soil generally has more mineral content and organic matter, so it lasts longer. You may need to improve its texture if it is very sandy or heavy. I like to mix up topsoil with grow-bags or garden compost for my pots. Depending what you grow, you may need to add a liquid or granular fertiliser regularly, or, if you are growing little bubs and flowers, make up a new mix for the pot every year or two.

For any large plants that will be in pots for more than a year i use a mix of sharp sand topsoil and rotted manure.

Seriously how many weeds are there that you can't just pull them by hand? mulch with anything, gravel bark, grit.

Fabric would be a bad idea as it would reduce the water getting into the compost/soil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back