Weeping HW cylinder connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently replaced my hot water tank, the bottom connection into the tank is weepeing. I remade the connection twice this weekend, using Gas PTFE tape but to no avail - if anything it has got slightly worse.

I have some thread selant that I bought from homebase, which is to be the next thing to try. Should I try this on it's own or with some PTFE tape for good measure ?

My flat is the bottom of a bolck of three stories, so I have ~ 10m head.

Matt

Sponsored Links
You are better using original water PTFE tape rather than the gas variety.

However if the thread you are refering to is PTFE thread then I would use that as I find it better than the tape.

Oh and only use one method to seal, tape or thread NOT both.

hi-spec plumbing heating said:
is it a standard indirect cylinder ?

Yes, it's a standard indirect cylinder (Manco, i think, grade 3 so rated for 10m head)

AlanE said:
You are better using original water PTFE tape rather than the gas variety.

I was previously advised to use Gas tape as being a bit thicker it should create a better seal.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, that the 90 degree compression fitting is not done up tight against the fitting on the tank as it ends up pointing the wrong way. following advice I kept on adding PTFE tape until the fitting goes tight (with a 30" spanner) when pointing in the right direction

AlanE said:
Oh and only use one method to seal, tape or thread NOT both.

ok - one it is.

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back