Weeping stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya all had lots of work carried out at the house yesterday - i have the main stop cock that goes to another one! ive never used the main one as it looked rough and i think has previously leaked!!

now its weaping as the plumber used the one i wouldnt have used!

ive informed him its weeping - rather than replacing it hes advised put some plumbers mait around it and all should be ok

do we all agree?!

its only very minor a couple of drops in a day

ive tried to tighten the packing nut but its not very good and cant be tightend any more - i dont fancy undoing it as the nut is nearly rounded etc i just want to apply something around the packing nut

Sponsored Links
rather than replacing it hes advised put some plumbers mait around it and all should be ok . Do we all agree?

Well, I don't.

But I'm not NECESSARILY saying he should replace/repair FOC

ive informed him its weeping - rather than replacing it hes advised put some plumbers mait around it and all should be ok

do we all agree?!

No don't agree - it won't do anything.

Sounds like due to the age of the stop valve and lack of movement over the years, which is not the fault of the plumber, it now should be replaced.

I would isolate elsewhere, rip out the two stopcocks you have and replace with a single unit.

I doubt plumbers mait would hold a static pressure of 4 bar (if that is what your mains is).

Sponsored Links
i was going to try some LSX - Would that have been better?!

its leaking from the gland nut - i think it only really wants repacking but its not in the best of condition

hes calling out to have a look :)

looks like someone has been hear before as gland nut a little rounded off!

so if i try my best to undo this anti clock wise???!!!

wrap some ptfe stuff around it (i have gas stuff at the moment in)

then tighten back up

do i need to turn the tap off while working on it??!

help please

Do as yourmoneyoryourwife posted.

You do not need to turn off supply.

As you will be using gas PTFE take a piece about 2" long and
split down the middle and use only one piece.

Don't forget, the tape goes around the spindle not the thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back