Weight of marble floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of putting marble floor tiles on a timber first floor. Should I be concerned about the extra weight . Floor joist are 2" x 8" @ 400 c/c , span 3.70m- 19 mm t & g floor boards ?
Also was going to use Ditra matting underneath as I have used before with good results but not on a first floor situation. Would I still need to ply overboard ?

Sponsored Links
It's a distributed load so in the grand scheme of things, the overall weight increase won’t make a whole lot of difference; what’s really important is that you don’t have an deflection in the floor. You must overboard - 15mm WBP ply is recommended but 12mm is usually sufficient, don’t chance anything less. Ditra matting over the top if you like; won’t do any harm but will increase floor height.

Preferably, I would consider replacing the entire floor with WBP ply, 18-25mm depending on the floor construction; biggish joist span in your case so I would go for 25mm. This will give you a far more rigid base & avoid silly door threshold heights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back