Weight of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
Anyone got a rough idea of what a 1 sq/m of 400 x 300 8mm thick ceramic tile weighs as I've been reading the weight limits on various backings.
Around the shower area it will be on new plasterboard, rest of the bathroom in plaster on brick.
I cant get any weight of the tiles online so just wondering if I'm well within the max?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It’s the thickness that’s important for sq/m weight not the size. The info I have would place it between 17.5 Kg/m2 - 22 Kg/m2 including adhesive/grout but that’s only a rough guide & you really need an accurate weight of the tile then add > 4 Kg/m2 for the addy & grout; if your at the high end, it’s marginal.

You should be using a powder cement adhesive on that thickness & size tile & you need to acrylic prime plaster/plasterboard to avoid a reaction between the cement in the adhesive & gypsum.

If it’s plasterboard it should be moisture resistant not ordinary wallboard but in a wet area, you need to tank it if you want it to last any length of time. Much better bet is to use 12.5mm waterproof tile backer board, the cost difference is minimal once you factor in the cost of tanking.

When tiling or re-tiling, there are many things that can catch you out. With walls, you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials & suspended timber floors need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Thanks both.
Richard C, yes I've done nothing but read post after post for the last few weeks, I've got Mapei waterproofing kit to tank the shower area, I will primer g all plaster/plasterboard.

I will use a cement based powdered flexible adhesive, I'm thinking Keraflex as opposed to Keraquick as I'm definately not the fastest tiler around, more slow and steady.
Hopefully that will do a decent job.

One last question, once grouting is complete I've read that the shower area should not be used for a couple of weeks, as this is the only shower in the house that's not possible, I'm thinking of tapeing plastic sheet up the tiles in shower area so the grout has time to fully dry, would that work ok?

Sponsored Links
If you intend to shower, it would be advisable to protect the grout from water.
So screening it with plastic sheeting seems a logical process, but do also allow the grout some air whilst curing.
But different manufacturers will state different curing times and allowance for in service areas. So also read the MI with the product.

You can cover it with a plastic sheet or a shower curtain to keep running water off but don’t seal it to the tiles, ideally remove it after each use as it will prevent residual moisture escaping & the only way out is through the grout lines.

I know from reading lots of your previous posts you'd go for the rapid set adhesive, but I can see me either wasting too much adhesive by not going quick enough if I mix too much, or constantly having to mix/clean everything if I just make enough to work with. Thats why the slower setting adhesive appeals to me. But if the rapid set is overall better quality I may well go for it.
Thanks

There is no problem with using a good quality slower setting adhesive; it's usually slightly more expensive but the finished quality is just as good as long as you use the correct one for your tiles & tiles base. The advantage of Rapidset is that it sets in 40-45 minutes & is ready to grout after 2-4 hours. This is essential for professional fitters allowing them to crack on; what might take one day to complete would need two using a slower setting adhesive as they generally cant be grouted for at least 16 hours. Also Rapidset adhesive is arguably more suitable for large format/heavy tiles as it will grab & hold more or less instantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back