Tiling Weights and tiles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hopefully someone will be able to help me, I have seen that there are tiling weights for skimmed walls (20kg), plasterboard (32kg) and other backing boards.
Does anyone know if these are exact weights, unfortunately my tiles will weigh 21.5kg per sq metre then probably abother 3kg in adhesive - 24-25kg be ok or should I get some backing boards.
And then my next question will probably be which one is best Aquapanel, Hardie BackerBoard, Marmox, or Elektra bearing in mind this is for a bathroom.
The walls are cement renadered with what looks to be a think skim of plaster (about 6-7mm) and is 25 years old.

thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
I guess there is going to be a safety margin in there but it no manufacturer is ever going to sanction it because of the comebacks; also bear in mind the 20 kg/m will be for new plaster skim correctly applied & in very good condition; risking over weight on old plaster starts to look decidedly risky, especially if it’s 6-7mm thick!

Aquapanel, Hardy or Marmox (not familiar with Elektra) will be good but use 12.5mm boards on walls not 6mm. I use & like Aquapanel a lot as it’s reasonably priced (don’t believe what the Knauf say about fixing) but it’s largely going to be down to price/personal preference.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply...I have just noticed the difference in that some say they are water resistant and some are waterproof...but I am sure I will find a thread on that subject :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back