weird 3 port valve heating behaviour

Post a picture of the connections in your cylinder stat. My money is on the brown and blue wires being the wrong way round. Depending on what make it is blue should be to C and brown to 1.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the connections in your cylinder stat. My money is on the brown and blue wires being the wrong way round. Depending on what make it is blue should be to C and brown to 1.
I can't get the thing open.. no screws on it.

1 is brown

Attachments

• 1477985103146682863512.jpg
    1477985103146682863512.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 91
I'm not familiar with that thermostat. What make is it? Is there a label inside the cover showing the connections? What are the 3 terminals marked as?

Sponsored Links
As I suspected the brown and blue are the wrong way around. You can either swap them at the cylinder stat or in your joint box.
Obviously turn the power off first!
The blue wire and the earth wire should both be identified as being live wires by using brown sleeving or brown tape.

That's great news!(y) Though I'm slightly appalled at 3 people you called who actually had the system in front of them couldn't find and correct the problem for you. (n)

honestly! unbelievable.

First guy - name and shame?. came to move my boiler - I get home the control unit is dangling in mid air as the pcb that had been replaced replaced didn't have enough mounting holes.. he said nothing he can do as circuit board is wrong model (yes of course it is m8 thats why its worked for 6 months) so I moved one of the pcb mounting pegs to marry up with the hole (no rocket science required for that) and screwed it in securing one side, the other side I kind of bodged using 3m pads to create a secure base for it and isolate it from the case. The "gas safe engineers" mate "the spark" left it in this state after messing around and shorting it out multiple times. I then could smell fumes! so turned it off and got them back out.. he did some stuff and said it was ok, i got home and it was less apparent but still and issue so he said I can come out and fit a new flue (why?) and a seal kit for £180, apparently doing me a favor and only charging £60 labour. I had lost all confidence at this stage and I said don't bother I'll try and use my home emergency policy. I called home emergency - they said I needed to call emergency gas number so I did -- he came out and said no gas leak. Called home emergency again, they sent someone out (2nd guy) who in fairness did fix the leak telling me it WAS gas and fitted me a new 3 way valve to try fix the issue with boiler not firing correctly (1st guy wired it wrong?) - I then got too close to the £500 allowance so they wouldn't come back out.. he did mention he moved some wires around so I said "come back and undo what you did" he refused. I had already pushed it with home emergency as shouldn't have been eligible due to it being someone else workmanship.

3rd guy came out and swapped something around and thought he fixed it but it was in the state I described in the thread, again all fairness he only charged me £40 and was coming back to sort it on Saturday.

1st guy should be ashamed of his attitude and his spark should be struck off leaving a residential property in that state!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back