weird boiler pressure issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. We have a Vokera Mynute 10e boiler. It normally runs around 1.5 bar (the sticker says 1-1.5). I had a look today, and it was around 2.5, and goes up to 4 (or higher/off the dial) when it gets hot (needless to say we have turned the heating timer off!).

I had a read around, and as I had filled it a little recently (to around 1.6 bar as it tends to lose pressure - it was down to 0.5 at one stage, no idea why), I tightened the filler screw right up (warning: noobie to central heating - I'm from NZ, we dont have central! - also I'm not a plumber at all! terms may be wrong).

We then drained a load of water out of the system using the screw + small hole on the top of the radiator in the bathroom. It went down to around 1.3bar (yay) after about 30 mins or so and a lot of water, but as soon as I shut off the screw on the top, it immediately jumped up to 2 bar, and sat there, on exactly 2 bar.

It also did this the first time we release some water - we started at 3, dropped it to 2.5, and it went back to around 2.7 and stopped. Then we went to 1.3 and it went back to 2. This is all cold - the water coming out is warmer than cold tap water, but it's not at all hot, or even warm.

It's been sitting on 2 bar ever since.

I can't see any leaks anywhere (the boiler is in the kitchen, so we'd notice them), even out of the vent outside.

So, question time:

1) is it time to call in an expert? (and the landlord, tho he's in NZ right now :( )

2) is this normal (the re-filling/repressurising) - do I just need to release some more, have it climb again, rinse, repeat until it doesn't do it again?

3) anything else?

As I said, I know less than jack about these things. We have the boiler part, and a big hot water cylinder in the cupboard, and 4 radiators around around the house. All rad's are "on" (ie, not closed off), tho the CW has been turned off for 3-4 weeks, as it's not been cold enough to need it on.

Any thoughts would be fantastic.

Thanks

Nic

Sponsored Links
it's not been cold enough to need it on

Did you bring some big jacket over with you?

Probably needs expansion vessel pressure checked and pressure relief valve too.
If you have no experience get someone in.
BTW London is full of dodgy "tradesmen" so speak to friends and neighbours for a recommendation.

Thanks Tamz.

It's stayed at 2 overnight, and I did the draining thing a little more, and it dropped to around 0.75. Topped it up to 1, and turned it back on.

That should keep us going until I can get hold of the landlord and get it serviced.

Thanks heaps for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back