Weird noise when flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's semi which has the third bedroom extended.When the toilets flushed in extensions en-suite there is a weird noise which sounds like a table or chair being pushed on a wooden floor.The noise went away when water inlet hole into the ballcock valve became partially blocked,but when I unblocked it it returned. The thought I had is that the copper pipe might be hard up against a joist or floorboard somewhere and and when the lever is pressed the sudden release of pressure from the pipe might be making it move or vibrate against the woodwork and cause the scrapping noise.

Sponsored Links
CHange the washer in the ballcock, first. Sometimes rubbing the washer clean will make it shut up for a while. Plastic ballcocks are more prone to it than metal ones.

Sponsored Links
Cheers ChrisR shops shut so cleaned diaphragm washer as you suggested problem solved,easy when you know how.

Your'e right petetheleak there does seem to be a lot of 1930's semi's on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back