weird shelf fitting system (HELP!!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm so new at this that I don't understand the way some shelves are fixed in the fitted wardrobes in the bedroom of my new house. There is nothing in view except two "screws" (see image) near the sides (underneath for some shelves, above for others). Except these are not screws: they can rotate half turn only. Turning clockwise tightens the connection, turning anti-clockwise loosens it but still the shelf cannot be removed. There is nothing visible from the outside, how on earth does this fitting system work, how do I remove a shelf??

View media item 23671

Sponsored Links
To clarify, the "long bit" in those photos screws into the side of the wardrobe. They have a "knob" on the end. The cam in the shelf (the visible part) tightens onto this when you turn it, and pulls it tight.

Thus there is no way to remove the shelf without actually somehow pulling the sides of the wardrobe apart.

But without the shelf the wardrobe may be very unstable - if the shelf were not important it would be sat on pegs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back