Welding set for home electrics ?

westie101 said:
The first thing you NEED is permission from Electricity NorthWest to connect it, welders of any size can cause dips to the supply of other customers owing to the inrush current as the arc is struck.

It doesn't matter if the manufacturer says it is for home use, you still need this permission.

What percentage of domestic heavy power usage manufacturers put a warning in their installation instructions to consult the electricity suppliers before connection ?
What percentage of DNOs make users aware of this fact ?

Less than the amount of homeowners who are aware of Part P I would suspect.

Sponsored Links
None at a guess.
No welder I have ever purchased gave this warning.

What percentage of domestic heavy power usage manufacturers put a warning in their installation instructions to consult the electricity suppliers before connection ?

Nearly all Electric showers have this information in their MI.

What percentage of DNOs make users aware of this fact ?
None of them unless you are prepared to wade through their terms and conditions for connection.

What percentage of DNOs make users aware of this fact

Conversely how many electrical contractors advise their customer of this, though I suspect a lot are in the same boat as the customer and don't know - shouldn't they!

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,
thanks for all your replies.
Reason I asked what appears daft questions on a new Welder is that a fire and subsequent water ruined the Sets Instruction leaflets. After wiring up a normal household plug that is my electrical knowledge finished.
Anyway so it seems that I need to run a heavier cable to my garage and add the necessary safety devices, 32amp plug and socket/box.
Need to uprate the breaker as well dependant if when a normal house is built what is the max input amperage available ? My house was built in 1974; just mentioning the date of build in case of electrical powers changed over the years.
If there is enough input then should be ok ?

Need to uprate the breaker as well dependant if when a normal house is built what is the max input amperage available ? My house was built in 1974; just mentioning the date of build in case of electrical powers changed over the years.

It will be 100A

If there is enough input then should be ok ?

As stated you will need permission from ENW to connect it. If you live on a housing estate the supply network will NOT be designed to have welders connected to it so you may well start interfering with other customers supplies. In which case if they complain, you risk the consequences

I take it this chap should have DNO permission too then?

Depends on the design parameters of the network and if there is a risk of interfering with other customer's supplies

Hi All,
appreciate your, some time humerous, replies - didn't know a welding rod glowed white hot, eh RT.
So if I have 100 amps input, then if I adjust all the following hardware I'm ok ?
Again thanks to all respondents.

Thanks for all your help.
Guess this topic is finished if I do as recommended by the 'brains trust'.
Cheers. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back