Well consolidated hardcore?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My drawings use the term 'well consolidated hardcore' without specifying the depth.

The ground is good having already had a slab removed. So I really only need to bring the level up to meet the existing floor.
This means the 'WCH' will only be around 50-60mm. Is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Is it work under Building Regs? If so, will there be a BR inspection prior to laying the slab
Are you laying concrete on the hardcore, if so at what thickness?
Are you using insulation in the floor, if so where?
Was there hardcore under the now removed slab?

In my very limited experience, the Building inspector required inspection of the insulation, dpm, sand blinding, and that there was hardcore down, But he didn't inspect the depth of this hardcore to any real extent.

It's under regs and going to be inspected by a privately hired company.

There was no hardcore under the original slab.

Hardcore going below the insulation100mm, dpc and 150mm concrete and 50mm blinding(not in that order).

Thanks for the reply. Bit more confident moving forward with a thinner layer of mot.

Is the floor slab just for light foot traffic?
If so, 100mm concrete is sufficient. So you could make up the difference with hardcore and/or insulation.

Sponsored Links
Well consolidated means compacting in maximum 150mm layers, up to a maximum of 600mm deep overall. In other words, you can't chuck down 600mm and try to compact that in one go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back